Work as a Linux System Engineer at a renowned company based in Darmstadt, Germany that offers great opportunities to advance and learn alongside accomplished leaders.
Profiler is a leading provider of expertise through corporate consulting, staffing solutions and HR services. We form the link between experts and companies from a wide range of industries. Our focus is in the IT, Communications Design and Aerospace Sectors
ROLE/FUNCTION: Linux System Engineer in Darmstadt, Germany
START: June 2017
TYPE OF BUSINESS: Aerospace
CONTRACT: Full-Time employment
WORKING LANGUAGE: English, French is considered an advantage
DEADLINE: 24 May 2017
In addition to having a university degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, the key person shall have at least 5 years experience of assessing and administrating computer systems and a very extensive experience in IT system design. The experience shall have been acquired in an operational or production environment, driven by high availability requirements.
Proven knowledge and hands-on experience with the following is mandatory:
• At least 5 years experience in the administration and troubleshooting of distributed systems;
• Expert knowledge and a significant work experience of Linux operating systems (Redhat and SLES);
• Very good IT system design skills;
• Good experience in VMware virtualization;
• Good knowledge and experience in security (principles/concepts, hardening techniques,
• Secure architecture and protocols, penetration and vulnerability testing, tools ...);
• Good understanding of incident and problem management;
• Technical documentation skills;
• Experience in an operational or production environment, characterized by custom applications in addition to standard software, running both on the client and server side, and by high availability requirements.
The key person shall be familiar, to the extent required by the performance of the above tasks,
with as many as possible of the following skills and system software environments:
• TCPIIP and related network protocols and applications, e.g. NIS, LDAP, NFS, DNS, SNMP, FTP, NTP, etc.;
• High Availability software like RedHat HA Add-On, Veritas Cluster or any other.
NICE-TO-HAVE SKILLS/CONSIDERED AS AN ADVANTAGE
Experience in the installation, administration and troubleshooting on some of the following shall be considered as an advantage:
• Dell I HP computers running Linux;
• UNIX (Solaris, AIX) and MS Windows System Administration;
• RAID arrays (EMC);
• SAN Fabrics (Brocade);
• Backup and recovery systems;
It shall also be considered as an advantage if the key person can carry out basic hardware support such as installing interface cards or physically setting up networks.
The Contractor shall provide consultancy to the Computer and Storage Management team, in areas of Ground Segment implementation, commissioning and routine operations. The tasks include consultancy to the operation of the Linux-based ground segment facilities and the analysis, design, development, testing and maintenance of distributed hardware and system software platforms. This includes the setting-up and implementation of maintenance policies and procedures, the support to the procurement of hardware and software, and the coordination with external providers of maintenance services.
The Contractor shall perform the following tasks:
• Installation and configuration of operating system and other software, tuning of operating systems parameters to optimize performance;
• Analysis, planning and performance of H/W and S/W upgrades or reconfigurations, taking care of compatibility issues between subsystems;
• Monitoring of the system performance, investigation into H/W and system S/W problems and performance of the relevant corrective actions;
• Ensuring that in case of H/W or system S/W failures the operational configuration can be restored, including the definition, maintenance, performance of backup procedures;
• Liaison with the external providers of H/W and system S/W maintenance for the request and follow up of maintenance interventions;
• Administration of user accounts;
• Support to S/W development and maintenance in relation to the utilization of system resources;
• Implementation and maintenance of scripts and/or procedures where applicable for the automated and/or controlled execution of the above activities, generation or update of technical documentation in relation to system upgrades;
• Provision of stand-by/on-call support;
• Provision of support, as required, to critical operations.
As an essential part of the tasks above, the Contractor is expected to generate and maintain documentation. This may comprise writing and reviewing requirement and design specifications, change proposals, preparing documents supporting procurements, reviewing data packages belonging to technical inspections and reviews, writing and reviewing IT architecture and design, writing design evaluation reports, writing/reviewing reports, test reports and overall status reports.
In the performance of the activities, the Contractor shall apply besides the relevant configuration and change control procedures, the relevant system engineering standards as well as quality and maintenance procedures.