SES is the world-leading satellite operator with a fleet of more than 50 geostationary satellites. The company provides satellite communications services to broadcasters, content and internet service providers, mobile and fixed network operators and business and governmental organizations worldwide. SES stands for long-lasting business relationships, high-quality service and excellence in the satellite industry. The culturally diverse regional teams of SES are located around the globe and work closely with customers to meet their specific satellite bandwidth and service requirements. SES holds a participation in O3b Networks, a next generation satellite network combining the reach of satellite with the speed of fiber.
The New Technology and Standards department is at the forefront of technology developments in the area of audio, video and data broadcasting via satellite. The department closely works with the industry and participates in standardization organisations to define, design and implement next generation broadcast architectures. This department has a special focus on all aspects related to consumer re-ception equipment innovation from satellite antennas, to satellite distribution, IP networking, satellite receivers, modems and display devices.
As a member of the SES Transmission & Reception Systems team, the (Senior) Engineer, Innovation and Standardization ( Video & IP Technology) carries out technical studies, concept engineering, specification and tests, end-to-end system implementation related to RF, IP and video aspects of transmission and reception systems as well as digital broadcast and networking matters of enhanced communication systems.
The role places strong emphasis on innovation and the introduction of new Video and IP technologies.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES / KEY RESULT AREAS:
- Maintain awareness of, study and evaluate new techniques and components for the transmission of video, audio and data signals, including multimedia applications and interactive services;
- Evaluate and customize the application of equipment, technologies and systems (e.g DVB-S2, DVB-S2X, DVB-RCS2,..) and support the preparation of corresponding concepts, specifications and recommendations to SES and its market partners;
- Evaluate the impact of changes to the overall transmission system (satellite charac-teristics, cost saving aspects, interference) on existing services;
- Implement enhanced broadcasting techniques and systems according to specifica-tions;
- Actively participate in and contribute to the work of international standardization or-ganisations, as required;
- Provide technical support to the industry for the development of systems and com-ponents for transmission, reception and networking;
- Support other tasks as required.
- A passion for technology and the aspiration to innovate;
- Interest in both theoretical aspects and hands-on work;
- Excellent analytical and abstraction skills ;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Very good coordination, time management and priority setting skills;
- Good verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate effectively with vendors, customers and colleagues;
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player, take initiative and be flexible is essential;
- Positive person with a can-do mentality and readiness to go the extra-mile.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- University degree in telecommunications engineering or related field ( electronic and, electrical or IT) ;
- At least 7 years of professional experience in satellite networking or television broadcasting, communications protocols and systems engineering;
- Knowledge of the technology, standards and market trends for satellite communications, digital broadcasting, Internet. In-depth knowledge of consumer electronics equipment, RF technology, computer programming, IP communication protocols, test equipment, wireless communications;
- Sound understanding of the commercial environment SES is active in. Understand customer business needs to be able translate them to functional and technical re-quirements;
- Fluency in English and additional knowledge of another language of the EMEA region; any other language is considered as an asset;
- Willingness to travel for attending 1-2 day standardization meetings;
To apply : click here