There has never been a more exciting to be involved in the development and application of robotic technology and this is your chance to be at the heart of it. The SCISYS autonomy and robotics group have been at the forefront of cutting edge innovation for space applications including robotic Mars Exploration.
As we grow this aspect of our space business and apply this technology in new, terrestrial applications we require high-calibre candidates to deliver our strategy. Robotic Perception and autonomous navigation using a variety of sensors and algorithms in support of robot localisation, mapping and data co-registration has been central to our work. We therefore seek candidates who fully understand the applied skill of transforming and fusing data from stereo-cameras, LIDAR, IMU's etc. into a well-ordered perception in sometimes extreme or challenging environments in order to enable our robotic and data analysis work. Working with the wider robotics and autonomy team you will help innovate, lead and develop real-world (both Earth and Mars) solutions for perception, data fusion and autonomous navigation from robotic sensor suites to support 3D visualisation, Robotic Autonomy and Data Analysis.
This is an excellent opportunity for candidates to grow their applied academic knowledge in an exciting application domain. This post would ideally suit a recently graduated Ph.D. level candidate, with some post-doc experience, applied machine vision and mobile robotics experience if possible. Experience in the space sector is not essential but beneficial. Tasks will include support for novel system concept design, integration and test for both space and non-space applications. In addition to concept development and engineering tasks, candidates will be expected to present and communicate any work undertaken in both commercial and academic environments. The work will be based in our Bristol UK offices.
* An M.Sc. or preferably a Ph.D. in Robotics, AI, Mechatronics, Computer Science or Engineering
* A solid understanding of robotic perception and navigation systems including state of the art sensing techniques.
* Localisation, Mapping and Path Planning including techniques such as Visual Odomtery and SLAM.
* Mobile robot systems techniques
* Machine vision
* 3D visualisation
* Excellent all-round programming skills in Java, C++, C, Real-time systems, Linux (various) and Windows
* Familiarity with Matlab
* Fluency in English, both spoken and written.
* Eligibility to work and live in the UK
* Ability to travel long distance and work off-site during field trials when required
* Ability to work autonomously and technically interact with customer representatives.
* Ability to integrate easily into the existing team, both technically and socially.
* Ability to interpret and write Technical Documentation.
* Ability to travel – Full UK Driving License is desirable but not essential
SCISYS offers a comprehensive range of benefits including pension, life assurance and private healthcare. For more details about SCISYS, please visit our website, www.scisys.co.uk