Where others see barriers, we see opportunities.
Do you enjoy supporting customers realizing breakthrough value? Do you stay attuned to your customers’ needs and visions? Do you like to work openly and supportively together with your colleagues and customers? Our work involves many different minds and skills, it can’t be done alone.
It's a great time being SES.
SES is the world-leading satellite operator providing end-to-end communication solutions. SES leads across new technologies in video, enterprise, mobility and government
We are a team of people coming from all across the globe who work together to make a real difference in the world.
• We help to bridge the digital divide by connecting millions of people on the African continent.
• We make it possible for people to stay connected while flying 10km up on a commercial airplane. We provide extensive satellite coverage of all of the world’s seas and ocean regions via our dedicated mobility beams
• We distribute 7,400 channels to more than 1 billion people in 317 million homes.
• We work together with our partners to develop new standards that transform how people consume and enjoy entertainment.
Senior Engineer, Optical Communication Systems
Role Description Summary
This project related position will primarily support the acquisitions and realisation of projects in the field of free-space optical satellite communications and satellite augmented quantum key distribution (QKD).
In particular, the incumbent shall realize or participate in the realisation of an LiDAR measurement instrument for cloud measurements, the design and implementation of an optical ground station (OGS) for quantum key reception and support the specification of the terrestrial monitor & control and data distribution network.
The incumbent shall focus on identifying customer needs and required system functionality early in the development cycle, documenting requirements, performing end-to-end system design, implementation and validation, while always considering the complete project environment including operations, cost and schedule, performance, training and support, test, manufacturing, and disposal.
The mission consists in the successful realisation of systems and services that support SES Techcom Services to become a leading supplier of technical products, services and systems in the field of satellite-related engineering and operations to satellite manufacturers, satellite operators and associated partners.
Primary Responsibilities / Key Result Areas
• Specify, design, evaluate, implement and test optical communication systems required for secure and reliable ground-to-satellite, satellite-to-ground and satellite-to-satellite communications
• Perform transmission analysis, in particular link budget calculations, and studies for optical communication systems and in particular optical ground stations
• Procure equipment, software and services necessary to build the infrastructure at customer premises and manage shipment
• Supervise specification, design, and development work necessary for project implementation, including project control functions
• Interface with customers and collect requirements for the setup of budgets, procurements, installation management and the operational handover of systems
• Coordinate with other SES Techcom Services departments for the transparent and effective realization of the project
• Provide pre-sales engineering support to the SES Techcom Services Commercial Department
• Follow up on technology development and make recommendations to management regarding evolution of SES TechCom S.A. services and products
• Participate in the design of future technology requirements in close cooperation with the Market Development team as well as with customers
• Sound analytical sense and problem solving skills
• Effective and target audience oriented communication
• Ability to integrate into cross-functional and/or virtual project teams
• Ability to lead and mange interdisciplinary project teams including resource planning and conflict solving
Qualification & Experience
• Master Degree in applied physics (preferred quantum optics) or in satellite communication systems engineering or equivalent
• Minimum seven years of experience in satellite and ground systems engineering
• Experience in designing and deploying satellite communication systems
• Experience from working in an institutional or academic environment is considered as an asset
• Excellent knowledge of satellite communications and in particular free space optical communication
• Sound knowledge of cryptography with potentially focus on quantum key distribution
• Profound knowledge in specification and design of Optical Ground Stations
• Acquainted with software development for satellite engineering solutions (e.g., MATLAB, C/C++)
• Experience with Satellite System Simulation Tools (e.g., AGI STK)
• Awareness of international standards, guidelines and methods (e.g. PMI-PMP, ECSS, OMG SysML, INCOSE or SEBoK)
• Fluency in English and any other languages will be considered as an asset
Other Key Requirements / Comments
Readiness to travel internationally, and meet directly with customers.
The incumbent will be part of the Optical Satellite Communications System project team, aiming at the design, development, and deployment of a satellite augmented quantum key distribution network encompassing space and ground segment.
We offer you
• A diverse workplace. For SES, diversity is more than a question of gender or race; we welcome different minds and different skills.
• An exciting job opportunity in a fast moving and fascinating industry. Our technology is launching into space on the next generation of rockets.
• Opportunities to further grow and develop in a global and growing company; we believe life-long learning is key to bring the best of SES worldwide.
• A competitive compensation package linked to your performance and further completed with attractive benefits.
SES is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.