A vacancy for a Telecommunication Satellites/Spacecraft Thermal Product Manager has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Stevenage.
The objective of the role is to manage and develop a set of thermal products that will enable the internal thermal control of a satellite or spacecraft to within +/-5°C, while the external environment is driving temperatures between -150°C and +150°C. The technological approach is further challenged due to the lack of convection and limited conduction while the satellite is surrounded by deep space at a radiation sink temperature close to absolute zero.
• You will lead a team of thermal specialists to ensure coherence and continual development of advanced thermal products aligned with and in co-operation with other satellite systems specialists.
• Once developed you are accountable for continued successful application of the product within the ‘projects' environment through to ‘in-space' performance.
You would join the satellite platform team at a time when Airbus Defence and Space is advancing a new geostationary satellite development programme together with various smaller spacecraft development programmes that are demanding new ways of approaching the problems of thermal control in space.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs. Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
• Overall responsibility for the thermal development, justification and maintenance activities including design, strategy, product segmentation, evolution road maps, funding sources, alignment with satellite product objectives and evolving payload capability.
• Management and co-ordination of:
- Product Strategy and Definition,
- Product Development and Improvements,
- Product Implementation within internal projects and external customers.
• Maintaining a good overview/network of all relevant European SME's to ensure active developments in support of the next generation of products.
• Actively access funding streams such as ARTES in support of development and platform activities.
• Monitor, support and sponsored applied research development programmes.
This role will involve some travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
• Engineering degree or equivalent.
• Product or Project Management experience.
• Thermal Engineering experience with exposure to both Architectural and detailed Design aspects.
• Experience in Heat Pipes would be a benefit, but is not essential for the role.
• Good industrial awareness required in order to appropriately balance technical, cost and schedule aspects of product development and upgrades.
• Able to express thoughts clearly and exchange them with other architects and engineers.
• Able to break down complex problems into steps that drive product development. Please apply for this vacancy on line at our careers site (www.jobs.airbusgroup.com) with your CV attached.
-- By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus Group using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus Group.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
To apply : click here