Vacancy in the Directorate of Internal Services.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. Applications from women are encouraged.
Head of the Project and Portfolio Management Section
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESRIN, Frascati, Italy
Head of the Project and Portfolio Management Section, Business Digitalisation Division, Information Technology Department, Directorate of Internal Services.
The Head of Section is responsible for the efficient and proper management and delivery of information systems, infrastructure projects or evolution activities assigned.
• defining requirements and specifications for providing appropriate solutions in cooperation with customer representatives;
• supporting and contributing to the elaboration and maintenance of application roadmaps for corporate information systems;
• planning and implementing agreed solutions regarding ESA corporate information systems, including analysis, design, development and tests, within agreed cost and schedule;
• timely and effective managing of all related contracts and procurements and all related budgets and risks;
• managing the customer acceptance process and hand-over to Department entities responsible for operations;
• ensuring the integrity, security and consistency of the overall IT corporate solution architecture, also in relation to any change, whether major or minor enhancements, including interfaces to local systems;
• providing expert support to customers at all stages (concept and feasibility analysis, informatics policy implementation, requirements analysis, architectural design, implementation, acceptance, delivery, maintenance and evolution) and required support to operations in routine and critical phases;
• providing inputs to investment plans and annual work-planning processes and to the related budget preparation and revision exercises;
• consulting other Departmental and Division entities where applicable;
• reporting the progress and status of Section activities to the Division Head and Project Board;
• managing the Section’s staff and other human resources;
• acting as ESA Technical Officer for entrusted contracts;
• IT Applications Project Managers;
• Information Systems Architect;
• IT Security Architect.
The postholder acts as the point of contact for all customers requiring ESA corporate information applications and/or support and is accountable for drawing up and implementing plans and support agreements compliant with customer requirements, in accordance with ESA policies on informatics in general and security in particular, taking due account of interfaces with other related systems and cost-at-completion, schedule and risk.
IT architecture design
IT technology awareness
Project and technical management
IT service and operations management
Information technology security
Knowledge of corporate information systems
Knowledge of SAP solutions
Acting as a role model
Developing & motivating people
Fostering cooperation & effective team-working
Strategic vision & business context
Planning & organisation
Applicants should have a Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in engineering or a relevant business area and a solid work background in the disciplines related to the tasks under consideration.
At least ten years’ experience in applying project management and project control principles and in preparing, negotiating and implementing industrial procurements is essential.
Experience of leading big-scale IT ERP transformation programmes in international multicultural environments is essential.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
The closing date for applications is 25 August 2017.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada and Slovenia.
Priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States.
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment.