The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defense, non-defense and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aerostructures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, Germany, and the UK.
For our customer, ESO in Munich, Germany, we are seeking an experienced Software Engineer.
You will become a part of the Control Software and Engineering Department (CSE) in the Directorate of Engineering (DoE), which is responsible for the definition, design and implementation of complex control systems for advanced optical and infrared astronomical instrumentation and telescope systems required for ESO’s Observatories in Chile. CSE is in particular responsible for the development and maintenance of detector control software for all ESO controllers including NGC (Next Generation Controller). ESO is in the process of developing a new version of the NGC controller, an in-house detector controller for optical and infrared scientific detectors, as well as for wavefront sensors. The control software for the new NGC controller will be implemented largely based on the current version but adapted to the new technologies and detectors selected for the ELT project. The software must be ready according to the plan defined for first generation ELT instruments.
Typical activities to be undertaken are:
- Develop and maintain the core software for the NGC controller (2.0)
including but not limited to:
> NGC software adaptation to ELT technologies such the
implementation of user interfaces in Qt or the integration with CII;
> Support the redesign of the detector control software for optical
- Implementation of new hardware functions;
- Develop and maintain instrument specific functionalities for detector
control for all ELT instruments and wavefront sensors technologies;
- Support the maintenance and development of the NGC core software
and its extensions, e.g. porting to newer releases of the ELT software
- Support instrument assembly, integration and test (AIT) activities in
relation to optical and infrared detectors, e.g. configuration control and
incremental SW deliveries for systems in production;
- Develop and maintain detector control software for VLT/VLTI
- Support NGC-related instrument commissioning activities on site;
- Develop and maintain general instrument control software components
for ESO projects.
This is a full-time position with a planned starting date on 1st January 2018. You will be located at ESO´s facilities in Garching near Munich, Germany, but shall be in position to travel worldwide.
Qualifications & Competencies
Applicants shall have a university degree in Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering or equivalent with a minimum of 5 years professional experience in implementing real time software for embedded systems as well as higher level, object oriented distributed applications and messaging systems. You will take over the responsibility for parts of NGC detector control software and develop/maintain it according to the requirements. Furthermore you must be familiar with LINUX and must have an excellent knowledge of C/C++ and python.
Essential skills include:
- Minimum five years of professional experience in software
development, covering the full software life cycle analysis, design,
implementation, testing and maintenance including documentation,
preferred with C/C++ and python;
- Good experience in implementation of real-time data acquisition;
- Minimum five years of experience in working in software development
- Minimum three years of hands on experience in (unit) testing;
- Minimum three years of hands on experience in software engineering
practices like version control including the related tooling;
- Excellent command of English language, preferably applied in
international work environment.
The following experience would be an additional asset:
- Practical experience in implementation of detector control software;
- Good command of C++11 and generic programming techniques;
- Familiarity with LINUX PCI device drivers;
- Basic knowledge of optical and infrared scientific detectors;
- Experience developing user interfaces in Qt.
You shall be able to fulfill the assigned tasks with a minimum of supervision, have a systematic approach to work, be able to plan your work and cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks. You shall have the capability to write accurate and consistent technical documentation. Good communication skills (verbal and written) are important. You shall be willing to work in a team of engineers and in cooperation with industry and partner agencies.
What can Terma offer
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal
- Highly competitive salary
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
For further information, please contact Mrs. Carolina Munte by telephone [+49 89 3200 6713] or by email [email@example.com].
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the link https://www.epos.dk/REK/Terma/Joblist/ShowJobOffer.aspx?dbalias=EposREC_Terma&lang=en&jobOfferEntityId=1231&joblistId=1 with a Cover Letter and a up-to-date Curriculum Vitae in Europass format (https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/home)
Closing date: October 25th, 2017
Please note that applicants must hold all appropriate documentation and permits to work in Europe.