You will have the opportunity to provide engineering support to design and system engineering/reengineering activities, fully system lifecycle, in the area of the Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Multi Mission Element framework. This consists in a system of offline Ground Segment elements, specifically for the Long Trend Analysis, Quality Monitoring and Reporting aimed to support the operational activities of existing and future programmes.
The position is based in Darmstadt, Germany.
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
• You will be contributing to the definition, design, implementation and maintenance of architectures for data processing ground segments and their components with special emphasis on product quality control, calibration and validation, production monitoring and reporting.
• Maintenance and evolutions of applications system in the area of the Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Multi Mission Element framework and in all its components
• Configuration Management, building and distribution of applications software releases and patches
• Contribution to applications software system design and re-engineering in the area of the Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Multi Mission Element framework;
• You will be supporting the operations of existing data processing ground segments and their maintenance and evolution. This will also include: upgrade software, including implementing and maintaining new algorithms for product quality control and calibration/validation activities.
• You will be performing routine tasks in operational systems under configuration control such as:
• Contribute to the Configuration Management process and the building and distribution of software releases and patches;
• Contribute to the development, integration and configuration management of software developed by third parties, its installation, and configuration and testing;
• Anomaly investigations, documentation and classification.
• Follow up of the delivery of S/W resolutions for these anomalies;
• You will be performing standard S/W engineering activities such as:
• S/W testing in a structured approach to verify that delivered S/W is fulfilling the requirements or to demonstrate that problems have been corrected;
• S/W integration and verification in the ground segments
• You will be setting-up and implementing maintenance policies and procedures,
• You will be contributing to the procurement and installation of software, and the co-ordination with external providers of support services;
• You will be participating in meetings and formal reviews.
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
• You have a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
• You have relevant experience in preparation of requirements, design, interfaces and testing documentation for data processing systems considering the systems engineering aspects of data processing management and data provision ( experience of data processing for high data rate missions and/or Earth Observation missions is an asset but is not mandatory);
• You have experience in S/W design, S/W development, Web applications programming, operation, maintenance and trouble shooting of large complex real-time data processing systems for Earth Observation missions.
• You have demonstrated knowledge in object-oriented software design and implementation possibly in the context of satellite instrument data processing systems.
• You are able to write accurate and consistent technical documentation.
• You are able to learn and develop the needed skills and knowledge to contribute to the development of Data Processing applications within the Supporting Application Engineering Team. This includes the ability to rapidly absorb, and make use of, information presented in written and oral communications in a dynamic context.
• You are able to maintain a system overview. You shall have a systematic approach to work, be able to plan your work and to cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks.
• You have CIC++ programming language experience in a UNIX/LINUX based environment.
• You have experience in the use of application programming of database systems (e.g. ORACLE, INFORMIX, PostgreSQL and MySQL).
• You have demonstrated knowledge in the use of scripting languages (e.g. shell scripting), high-level languages (e.g. Python, Java) and correspondent using of their libraries.
• You have good knowledge of XML and related technologies (XPATH, SVG, etc.).
• You are proficient in the exploitation of modern hardware and operating systems at the application level ( e.g. parallel programming (pthreads, MPI, OpenMP)).
• You are familiar with data formats used for meteorological satellite products.
• You have experience with design and implementation of MMI using different toolkits and languages.
The following skills would be highly desirable:
• You have experience with the programming and usage ofIDL and Fortran;
• You have experience in Web Programming;
• You have experience and knowledge of S/W testing, unit test suite maintenance, automated testing, verification and validation;
• You have experience in system design for quality control and cal/val systems;
• You have good knowledge of relevant Standards, Quality Assurance and Configuration Management principles and applications;
How to Apply
Looking to take your career to the next level? Interested applicants should submit their CV and Cover Letter to RHEA’s Recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 28/09/2017.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of SECRET or above.
About RHEA Group
RHEA Group is a leading engineering consultancy firm with demonstrated expertise in space, system- and secure software solutions.
We attract skilled engineers, scientists and management professionals; and offer a range of exciting career paths working alongside clients such as the European Space Agency, the European GNSS Agency, EUMETSAT and NATO.