Where others see barriers, we see opportunities.
Do you enjoy supporting customers realizing breakthrough value? Do you stay attuned to your customers’ needs and visions? Do you like to work openly and supportively together with your colleagues and customers? Our work involves many different minds and skills, it can’t be done alone.
It's a great time being SES.
SES is the world-leading satellite operator providing end-to-end communication solutions. SES leads across new technologies in video, enterprise, mobility and government
We are a team of people coming from all across the globe who work together to make a real difference in the world.
We help to bridge the digital divide by connecting millions of people on the African continent.
We make it possible for people to stay connected while flying 10km up on a commercial airplane. We provide extensive satellite coverage of all of the world’s seas and ocean regions via our dedicated mobility beams
We distribute 7,400 channels to more than 1 billion people in 317 million homes.
We work together with our partners to develop new standards that transform how people consume and enjoy entertainment.
Regulatory & Market Access Counsel - Asia-Pacific ( based in Singapore)
Located in Singapore, you will be responsible for representing SES before governments and regulators in the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region . You will provide in-region support for market access and compliance efforts in strategic target markets, such as India, Indonesia and China, as well as other important regional countries such as Australia, Japan, Korea and Pacific island nations.
In this position you will manage regulatory authorizations and compliance obligations for SES satellite operations in the APAC, as required.
Maintaining a direct SES regulatory presence in Asia has proven to be essential in building and sustaining long term relations for advocacy and licensing purposes. In this role, you must be capable of navigating a large territory with widely varying cultural, regulatory and legal environments.
Moreover you will also support commercial & development negotiations, merger and acquisition projects and in-region satellite procurement, as may arise from time to time.
• Take responsibility for regulatory authorizations and compliance obligations for SES operations in the APAC region, in consultation with a more senior colleague
• Help identify legal issues and risks for management consideration and prepare high level of risk mitigation strategies
• Help manage and carry out SES advocacy activities to defend and promote company policy objectives before Asian regulatory and policy making bodies, including national bodies, Asia Pacific Telecommunity, APSCC, CASBAA and other groups
• Represent SES interests before regional activities of International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and other international bodies with respect to Asian issues
• Help coordinate Asian positions with those established in other SES regions; prepare and coordinate position papers as a team effort
• Provide in-region regulatory support to SES NBUs and Corporate and Strategic Development teams in Asia on a day to day basis
• Manage outside counsel on specialized matters, including landing rights, content rules, general local laws affecting regulatory responsibilities, litigation and international law
• Work closely with the Sr Legal Counsel in the Singapore office responsible for commercial matters.
• Support rollout and training for SES’ compliance programmes including SES’ Code of Conduct and ensure ongoing oversight in the region
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• JD or University Law degree and admission to the practice of law in one or more jurisdictions
• Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in the communications industry (preferably in the satellite sector) with a law firm, Government agency or private entity(ies); experience in the APAC region is preferred
• Experience with international legal and regulatory matters, including but not limited to market access, trade, ITU, antitrust, and general commercial and corporate law
• Fluency in English required; foreign language skills desirable, especially any Asian language
• Excellent written and oral communication (including drafting & negotiating) skills
• Excellent negotiation skills and ability to maintain high level of legal risk mitigation for SES
• Ability to work across multi-function, multi-level and multi-cultural groups toward a business oriented solution
• Must be a team player
• Pro-active and independent attitude and result oriented approach, with ability to work at distance (time zone and geographically) from other team members
• Strong ability to manage time, set priorities and work independently in an international oriented and demanding commercial environment
• Capability to work accurately and in an organized manner with attention to detail
• Familiarity with or ability to acquire knowledge of the regulatory and institutional frameworks applicable to SES’s activities in Asian markets
• Ability to advocate SES’s positions and interests outside of the organization
We offer you
• A diverse workplace. For SES, diversity is more than a question of gender or race; we welcome different minds and different skills.
• An exciting job opportunity in a fast moving and fascinating industry. Our technology is launching into space on the next generation of rockets.
• Opportunities to further grow and develop in a global and growing company; we believe life-long learning is key to bring the best of SES worldwide.
• A competitive compensation package linked to your performance and further completed with attractive benefits.
SES is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.