SRON's mission is to bring about breakthroughs in international space research. Therefore the institute develops pioneering technology and advanced space instruments, and uses them to pursue fundamental astrophysical research, Earth science and exoplanetary research. As national expertise institute SRON gives counsel to the Dutch government and coordinates national contributions to international space missions. SRON stimulates the implementation of space science in our society. SRON stimulates the implementation of space science in our society
Current instruments with SRON contributions in the development and proposal phase are a.o. the far-infrared grating spectrometer SAFARI on the ESA/JAXA/NASA SPICA mission (proposed ESA M5 mission, launch 2029), the exo-planet mission PLATO (ESA, launch 2029), the XIFU instrument for the Athena X-ray mission (ESA, launch 2028) and the gravitational wave mission LISA (ESA, launch 2034). For the SAFARI instrument the Instrument Science group has a vacancy for a
(Senior) Research Scientist (f/m)
The successful candidate will lead all technical aspects of SAFARI instrument development all the way up to launch, take the lead in the instrument design, and will be the technical point of contact both for the internal team as well as for the international instrument consortium. Candidate will act as lead instrument scientist of the instrument, and is in charge of monitoring the overall end-to-end performance of the instrument.
• Lead the development of all aspects of the SAFARI instrument including the effect of optical, mechanical, electrical, and thermal design on the instrument performance;
• Develop and give advice on current and future innovative space instrument proposals;
• Technical lead of a team of experts;
• Build up and maintain an (international) network in the area of optical and infrared space instrumentation.
• PhD in Physics or Optics or equivalent in a discipline related to remote sensing (e.g. Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, Astronomy);
• 5 years of experience in developing innovative optical/infrared instrumentation;
• Considerable national and international reputation and experience as a researcher in the own discipline;
• Experience in a Lead System Engineer role and in writing proposals;
• Good verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment;
• Experience with project management techniques (Prince II, IPMA or equivalent);
• Innovative, Persuasive, Helicopter view.
Candidates at the start of their career, with PhD but with less than 2 years of experience, are also invited to apply. Please include the GPA obtained for the relevant master in this case.
Employment of this fulltime position (as a (senior) instrument scientist) at SRON-Groningen is by NWO (The Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research) and will be for a period of 2 years with the possibility for a permanent position. If you have shown to perform well at SRON, there is ample opportunity to continue your career.
The salary will be in accordance with the salary scales of NWO between €3,157.- and €5,512.-. gross per month on a fulltime basis (depending on education and experience).
NWO has good secondary employment conditions such as:
• An end of year bonus of 8,33% of the gross yearly salary;
• 42 days of vacation leave a year on full-time basis;
• An excellent pension scheme;
• We offer generous relocation expenses and support with finding accommodation;
• Options for (additional) personal development;
• Excellent facilities for parental leave;
• A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross yearly salary.
For further information about the position, please contact dr. ir. G. de Lange, Section manager within the expertise group Instrument Science, telephone +31-(0)50-363 4051. Information about SRON can be found at www.sron.nl.
Letter of application
If you wish to apply you can send a motivation letter with CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state the vacancy number 1341 in the subject of your mail. Candidates will be considered until the position has been filled. Internal and external recruiting will be executed in parallel. In the event of equal suitability, preference will be given to female applicants.