The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defense, non-defense and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aerostructures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, Germany, and the UK.
For our customer, EUMETSAT in Darmstadt, Germany, we are seeking an experienced System Engineer to support the forthcoming EPS-SG (European Polar System - Second Generation) Earth observation mission.
EUMETSAT is an intergovernmental public sector organisation whose primary objective is to establish, maintain and exploit European systems of operational meteorological satellites and to contribute to the operational monitoring of the climate and the detection of global climate changes. A further objective of EUMETSAT is to provide data, products and support services to the European Copernicus information services and user communities, with a focus on marine, atmosphere and climate.
You will be supporting the EUMETSAT’s Low Earth Orbit Division (LEO) in the field of system engineering. You will be contributing to the phase C/D system engineering activities related to the specification, design and development of the EPS-SG system with focus on satellite and operational related aspects within the system. Your tasks will primarily include overall system aspects involving the space segment (satellites) and the ground segment, consisting of data acquisition systems, monitoring and control systems, as well as data processing facilities and product dissemination facilities.
Typical activities to be undertaken are:
Contribute to general system engineering activities:
- Analysis and trade off activities;
- Preparation and maintenance of system technical specification;
- Documentation of system design and justification;
- Ad hoc internal reviews;
- System level formal reviews;
- Ground segment level activities as required;
- Support IV&V activities.
- Ensuring that operational aspects (from operations concept etc.) are adequately reflected in the system technical specifications and design;
- Provide input and support to the customisation of the Packet Utilisation Standard (PUS) specific to EPS-SG and documentation of the results;
- Provide input and support to the customisation of other satellite related ECSS standards;
- Maintain the system specification tree and baseline;
- Analyse new versions of lower level technical documents for coherence with system and incorporation into system baseline;
- Act as book captain for the System Requirements Document (SRD). Collating and analysing comments, proposed changes from internal and external reviews and
making recommendations on new/updated requirements;
- Maintain the traceability of system requirements to higher and lower level
specifications (using DOORs);
ICD design and maintenance:
- Implementation of any changes to the system model identified in order to aid the interface documentation;
- Coordination and definition of technical interfaces with the external partners and service providers;
- Organise/hold meetings and workshops with external and major internal interface partners to establish interface details/agreements;
- Generate and maintain the system Interface Control Documents (ICD).
Maintenance of the EPS-SG system level model using the Vitech CORE modelling tool:
- Ensuring the model is up to date with any system level changes/evolution especially in the area of interfaces;
- Configuration control and documentation of the system model;
- Update of the model with respect to interfaces at system level;
- Co-ordination with the ground segment for model updates to ensure consistency between system/ground segment.
This is a full-time position with the planned start in March 2018.
You will be nominally based at EUMETSAT's facilities in Darmstadt, Germany. The position will require travel within Europe and worldwide.
Qualifications & Competencies
Applicants shall have a university degree, in the domain of engineering, science, or other suitable qualification complemented by at least 5 years of experience in the field of engineering of space and/or ground systems.
Essential skills are:
- Experience of Satellite Monitoring and Control using ECSS PUS standards services;
- Capability to prepare system requirements and design documents, and to perform systemlevel analyses for complex polar satellite systems;
- Experience of requirements management using formal configuration control procedures/processes;
- Experience of writing technical requirements (preferably to ECSS standards);
- Experience of establishing and maintaining traceability between different levels of technical specifications;
- Experience of interface management and definition;
- Familiarity with mechanisms and tools for detailed interface definition;
- Demonstrated capability to prepare and manage ICD;
- Experience in system modelling;
- Experience of interface management and definition;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
The following experience would be an additional asset:
- Familiarity with the CORE design tool (from Vitech);
- Familiarity with Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE);
- Experience with DOORs.
You shall be able to fulfil the assigned tasks with a minimum of supervision, have a systematic approach to work, be able to plan your work and cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks. You shall have the capability to write accurate and consistent technical documentation. Good communication skills (verbal and written) are important. You shall be willing to work in a team of engineers and in cooperation with industry and partner agencies.
What can Terma offer
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
For further information, please contact Mrs. Raluca Moise by telephone [+49 6151 860050] or by email [email@example.com].
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the link https://www.epos.dk/REK/Terma/Joblist/ShowJobOffer.aspx?dbalias=EposREC_Terma&lang=en&jobOfferEntityId=1285&joblistId=1 with a Cover Letter and a up-to-date Curriculum Vitae in Europass format (https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/home)
Closing date: January 29th, 2018
Please note that applicants must hold all appropriate documentation and permits to work in Europe.