1st & 2nd Level IT system administrator (m/f) Ref. No. 18_003
The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defense, non-defense and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aerostructures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, Germany, France, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, France, Germany, and the UK.
For our office in Darmstadt, Germany, we are seeking a GNU/Linux, Solaris and/or AIX Engineer.
As a member of IT Support group, you will provide support to Ground Segment Commissioning and Routine Operations to our customer, providing 1st and 2nd level support of the GNU/Linux, AIX and Solaris based ground segment facilities. This includes preventive and corrective system administrative task, interface to HW repair and COTS support maintenance contract.
The activities will be perform in a technically challenge environment and providing support to a wide range of technologies, from relatively old infrastructure components like AIX 6 and Solaris Sparc to cutting edge technologies like openstack/Docker, ansible/Salt, VMAX, VPLEX and so on.
Your tasks will typically include but are not limited to:
- Act as Single Point of Contact for incidents and anomalies for
Eumetsat's Operational systems via Ticketing system;
- Installation and configuration of operating system and other software,
tuning of operating systems parameters to optimize performance;
- Analysis, planning and performance tuning of Hardware (HW) and
Software (SW) installations, ensuring compatibility between
- Monitoring of the system performance, investigation of HW and system
SW problems and performance of the relevant corrective actions;
- Ensuring that in case of HW or system SW failures the operational
configuration can be restored, including the definition, maintenance,
performance of backup procedures;
- Liaise with the external providers of HW and system SW maintenance
for the request and follow up of maintenance interventions;
- Perform administration and installation of databases;
- Administration of user accounts, disk quotas and technical user
- Support to SW development and maintenance on system related
matters implementation and maintenance of scripts and/or procedures
where applicable for the automated and/or controlled execution of the
above activities, generation or update of technical documentation in
relation to system upgrades;
- In the performance of the activities you shall apply the relevant change
control and maintenance procedures.
This is a full time position, located at our office in Darmstadt, Germany, starting ASAP. Standby / call-out support and provision of support to critical operations, may sometimes be required.
Qualifications & Competencies
Applicants shall have a university degree in computer science (or equivalent).
- You should have proven extensive knowledge and work knowledge
with GNU/Linux operating system(s) (SLES/Redhat), AIX and/or Solaris
and virtualization technologies (VMware and/or PowerVC);
Proven knowledge and at least 2 years hands-on experience with the
following is mandatory:
- GNULinux administration using different distributions (SLES, RHEL are
- Solaris administration and troubleshooting;
- File System administration (EXT2-4, BTRFS, XFS, quota management,
- Shell scripting;
- Basic IT System design skills;
- Definition, implementation, testing and documentation of end-to-end
- Preparation of technical documentation in English in a complete and
- Good communication skills;
- Customer oriented, used to communicate directly with technical end
Experience in the installation, administration and troubleshooting on
some of the following shall be considered as an advantage:
- Knowledge of Cloud Technologies (OpenStack, Docker/Kubernetes,
orchestration via Morpheus, automation via ansible/salt, etc);
- Advanced VMware vCenter / PowerVC management and
- High availability environments;
- Lenovo/HP Blade HW management;
- Experience with the monitoring tools based on Nagios;
- Carry out basic hardware support like installing interface cards or
physically setting up networks;
- The work is organized using a ticketing system (OTRS) therefore,
previous experience on helpdesk and ticket handling is an advantage.
- ITIL Experience;
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) is mandatory, as English is the
The variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported require a high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills together with the ability to effectively cooperate within the team.
What can Terma offer
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal
- Highly competitive salary
For further information, please contact Mrs. Raluca Moise by telephone [+49 6151 860050] or by email [email@example.com].
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the link https://www.epos.dk/REK/Terma/Joblist/ShowJobOffer.aspx?dbalias=EposREC_Terma&lang=en&jobOfferEntityId=1370&joblistId=1 with a Cover Letter and a up-to-date Curriculum Vitae in Europass format (https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/home)
Closing date: August 31st, 2018
Please note that applicants must hold all appropriate documentation and permits to work in Europe.