Space System Engineer for Exploration – ESTEC, Ref no: 18-16903
The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defence, non-defence and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aero-structures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, France, Germany, and the UK.
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking to recruit an experienced Space System Engineer to work at ESA’s ESTEC establishment in Noordwijk, in the Netherlands.
You will be assigned to Robotics and Future Projects Team within the Directorate of Human Spaceflight and Robotic Exploration (D/HRE).
You will support the lead system engineering function for the Phase A/B1 Study of the ESPRIT element of the human exploration mission LOP-G (Lunar Outpost Platform/ Gateway), and its continuation. ESPRIT is the European System Providing Refuelling, Infrastructure and Telecommunication and includes a science airlock. These will be conducted in the post-ISS scenario for utilisation of Low Earth Orbit and European contributions to human exploration missions beyond Low Earth orbit.
In this support role to the system engineering function specific duties include:
• Definition of the ESPRIT functional and design requirements.
• Technical definition of the ESPRIT design baseline until successful System Requirements Review (SRR) and identification of activities needed to proceed toward Preliminary Design Review (PDR) with focus on specific subsystems
• Identification and follow-up of pre-development tasks for ESPRIT as agreed with the industrial Study Contractors.
• Architecture definition of the LOP-G/Gateway in coordination with NASA, CSA, JAXA, RSA and possible future commercial enterprises/US industries e.g. SpaceX.
• Development of interfaces with external parties, mainly other Space Agencies (NASA, JAXA, CSA), who may be providing equipment for the ESPRIT
• Preparation of the ESPRIT Invitation To Tender (ITT) for Phase B2/C/D/E1.
• Supporting the Future Projects Team for other tasks, as required.
The requested start of work is 1st September 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Qualifications & Competencies
Applicants shall have a Master’s degree, or equivalent, in Physics, Aerospace Engineering, or Space Systems Engineering.
Essential skills are:
• With at least 4 years’ experience in space systems development, you will be system-minded and have a result-oriented approach.
• Prior experience with system requirements definition.
• Knowledge of system engineering aspects is essential.
Additional assets are:
• Experience of spacecraft operations, hardware and/or software development will be an asset.
• Prior experience with human spaceflight projects, ESA, and other international agencies will be an asset.
• Familiarity with the applicable space standards (ECSS).
• Familiarity with industrial procurement processes e.g. SoW production.
Required soft skills:
• Fluency in English, both in speech and writing, with excellent communication, reporting and presentation skills.
• An ability to work in a highly complex project environment.
• Have good communications skills and the capability of coordinating activities with groups spread across different sites.
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
• Great opportunities for training and personal development
• Challenges in advanced technical environment
• International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
• An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
• Highly competitive salary
• Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed, please apply exclusively through our website http://www.terma.com/careers/jobs/ and upload a cover Letter explaining your background and expertise, as well as your earliest date of availability, and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
For further information, please contact Mr. Simon Mills
by telephone [+31 6 2326 2398] or by email [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Closing date: July 27th 2018
• Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
• Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
• Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
• A Certificate of Good Conduct or equivalent will be applied for at commencement of employment.