IT Systems Architect – ESTEC, Ref no: 18-16907
The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defence, non-defence and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aero-structures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, France, Germany, and the UK.
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking to recruit an experienced IT Systems Architect to work at ESA’s ESTEC establishment in Noordwijk, in the Netherlands.
You will be assigned to the Infrastructure Management Section within the Directorate of Directorate of Technology & Quality Engineering (D/TEC).
Reporting to the Head of Section, you will be responsible for introducing IT synergies across the four D/TEC Departments, aligning Knowledge Bases and lnformation Repositories. The specific tasks cover:
• Maintain understanding of business issues, operating procedures and priorities, actively seeking opportunities for increased business agility, ensuring all different services are integrated and in line with the Directorate’s IT architecture plan.
• Provide help to formalise requirements and assess impact on security, software licenses and cost, especially where contacts among different services are needed and questions go beyond the current computing service offerings.
• Provide help with system architecture and design:
• Encourage reuse of existing IT services / technologies.
• Favour solutions compatible with existing infrastructure.
• Formalize user stories and requirements.
• Assess impact on security, software licenses, cost, etc.
• Identify required architecture components and/or frameworks. Prioritize architecture deliverables, and establish short-term, mid-term and long-range architecture plans.
• Maintain a broad knowledge of current industry technologies, methodologies and designs, and their applicability and appropriateness in various solution architectures.
• Analyse technical requirements to determine infrastructure designs, potential issues, and related costs.
• Contribute to the selection, prototyping, and implementation of hardware, operating systems, applications, and technical solutions to business problems.
• Take the pulse of and keep tabs on the general hardware markets for innovative designs, cost savings and market trends.
• Provide technical leadership of activities related to the design, deployment, evolution and operation of the existing technical IT infrastructure and related services
• Evaluate new and emerging technologies through hands-on experimentation, providing an informed point of view and advocacy within the organization.
• Leads the evaluation and comparison of IT technologies, reporting to the management, reporting on alternative scenarios and assessing opportunities related to new and emerging technologies.
The requested start of work is 1st October 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Qualifications & Competencies
Applicants shall have a Master’s degree in Information Technology or related discipline.
Essential skills are:
• At least 10 years’ experience in IT architecture, primarily systems administration.
• Expertise with Enterprise Storage, backup and recovery technologies required.
• Experience in design, architecting, engineering and administering Storage and Virtualisation technologies.
• Cloud integration experience of virtual platforms
• Experience in cluster methodologies.
• Expertise with server technologies and deployments in large data centre environments.
• Expert Knowledge of Linux and Unix operation systems (Solaris, AIX and RedHat/SLES)
Additional assets are:
• Experience with HPC (High performance cluster) methodologies.
• Proven ability to coordinate between various teams in an Aerospace R&D environment.
vExperience with, and active participation to, IT coordination groups and in coordinating with IT service providers in an environment where shared IT services are largely used by the business units.
• Good understanding of ESA and/or D/TEC IT business processes at various levels and the functioning of D/TEC technical infrastructure would be considered an asset.
Required soft skills:
• Fluency in English, both in speech and writing, with excellent communication, reporting and presentation skills.
• Strong leadership qualities and the ability to gain respect across highly technical teams.
• Experience interacting with vendors.
• A keen interest in technology innovation, with the ability to collect and understand new information, plus organisational and business sensitivity as required to successfully design, deploy, and maintain IT architectures.
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
• Great opportunities for training and personal development
• Challenges in advanced technical environment
• International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
• An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
• Highly competitive salary
• Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed, please apply exclusively through our website http://www.terma.com/careers/jobs/ and upload a cover Letter explaining your background and expertise, as well as your earliest date of availability, and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
For further information, please contact Mr. Simon Mills
by telephone [+31 6 2326 2398] or by email [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Closing date: August 2nd 2018
Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
• Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
• Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
• A Certificate of Good Conduct or equivalent will be applied for at commencement of employment.