Altran is the global leader in Engineering and R&D services. Altran works alongside its clients, from initial concept through industrialization, to invent the products and services of tomorrow. Altran is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC.
The candidate we are looking for will operate as Materials and Processes Evaluation Engineer in the Materials & Processes Section of the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality. His duty station will be the European Centre for Space Applications and Telecommunications (ECSAT) based at the Harwell Campus in Oxfordshire, UK.
Main duties will include:
- End to end process evaluation for additive manufacturing, including raw material specification and product performance (mechanical testing, NDT/NDI, etc.);
- Destructive and non-destructive PCB testing;
- Provide materials and processes support for projects where product assurance and safety managers are located at ECSAT, including participation to projects meeting, reviews and audits;
- Support Materials and Processes reviews, Materials and Processes Control Boards (MPCB’s) and participate as Engineering and/or PA Board Member in ESA Programme reviews milestones (including PRRs, SRRs, PDRs, CDRs, QARs, FRRs, etc.);
- Review Declared Materials, Parts and Processes Lists (DMLs, DPLs, and DMPLs) as well as RFAs, RFDs/RFWs, ECPs, etc.;
- Support major Non-Conformances Review Board activities, perform failure analysis and failure investigation using a variety of laboratory tools;
- Support the definition and implementation of the Research and Technology activities in the domain of advanced manufacturing;
- Support the evaluation of proposals for technology R&D activities on their technical merit, consistency and priorities and recommendation for ESA endorsement;
- Support the coordination of technology R&D activities, monitoring of the procurement implementation, evaluation and reporting of the achieved results and lessons learnt to the relevant ESA Directorates and key Partners.
The technical competence shall especially cover:
- Processing (e.g. joining, surface treatments), testing, and performance evaluation of metallic materials (e.g. Al-alloys, Ti-alloys, steel).
- Additive manufacturing processes and associated test and qualification approaches.
Specific Qualification Requirements:
The ideal candidate has:
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in materials engineering and science, materials physics/metallurgy and/or non-metallic materials or another related field, as well as several years’ industrial experience preferably covering aerospace hardware and R&D;
- Materials laboratory hands-on experience related to metallic materials, manufacturing and applied processes characterization/verification and failure investigation; a background on space simulation facilities is an asset.
- Good knowledge about general materials test methodologies and especially experience in mechanical testing.
- Experience in defining and executing test plans for materials qualification and process validation.
- Capability to take decisions for selection of materials and processes for space applications.
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with ESA Materials and processes related requirements;
- Understanding of space missions related requirements and capability to propose verification methods including testing, analysis, inspections;
The work will be performed at The European Centre for Space Applications and Telecommunications (ECSAT) is ESA’s newest facility in the United Kingdom.
- The selected candidate will receive a permanent contract with Altran Netherlands and a fair remuneration in line with ESA Job Class.
- Will be registered for both social security and tax in the Netherlands.
- The standard working hours are 40 per week. There are 12 public holidays and an additional 30 annual days’ holiday.
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are included.