ispace Europe is seeking a highly motivated and talented Architect to create and manage the company’s planetary data system.
ispace is a private lunar exploration company whose vision is to expand and sustain humanity’s presence in space by utilizing resources available on the Moon. ispace was a Google Lunar XPRIZE finalist and its 4kg SORATO rover won the XPRIZE mobility milestone award. In addition to rovers, ispace is developing lunar landers with two missions already scheduled for launch in 2020 and 2021.
ispace Europe is the company’s regional office located in Luxembourg, in the heart of Europe. We are developing the next rover missions that will prospect for lunar water and thereby set the first milestone toward lunar ISRU. ispace Europe core engineering competences are in lunar science, rover navigation, mission planning, data processing, and mission systems engineering. We are a diverse and growing team, motivated by the challenges of the Lunar Frontier, and determined to achieve the company’s vision.
ispace Europe is starting a new activity to develop the data processing center that will collect raw data from ispace missions and process them into marketable products. The Data Architect will be responsible for charting, developing and implementing the blueprint for the new planetary data activity. In this role, you will work together with the company’s science, engineering, mining, and business experts to define the use scenarios, requirements, and approach to build the custom pipelines and data products. You will manage the growth of this strategic business activity for ispace. We rely on every engineer to exhibit a cross-functional mindset, intellectual curiosity, willingness to bridge gaps, appreciation for process, and understanding of the system two levels up and two levels down. The candidate must be self-driven, continuously self-improving, and proud of her/his work.
- Synthesize the processing needs and methods of the planetary science community, mining industry, remote sensing industry, and media industry
- Work closely with the ispace business team to identify customer needs and define our commercial data products
- Draft a flexible data architecture, including data structures and database design, that can accommodate a growing number of pipelines and respond to customer feedback
- Plan the roadmap for implementation, propose a strategy for in-house development vs third-party procurement of key modules
- Lead the development of initial products with support of data engineers and create analytics for collecting and synthesizing user feedback
- Be the in-house data expert and make recommendations regarding security, data quality standards, and applications of AI, AR, VR techniques to improve the quality and marketability of our data products
- Coach the ispace team on anything data
Required skills and qualifications
- B.S./MS/Ph.D. in computer sciences, engineering or related field, or equivalent industry experience
- +5 year of experience in data science/data management
- Excellent understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Experience in data flow and processing pipelines
- Knowledge on Hadoop and SQL
- Knowledge or ability to quickly ramp up with machine learning and deep learning
- Experience in documenting data definitions and writing reports in a business-friendly language
- Exhibit strong intellectual curiosity about the science, engineering, and business disciplines adjacent to your domain of expertise
- Be highly organized and capable of planning and executing complex technical work
- Thrive in multi-disciplinary environment in close cooperation with science, engineering and business teams
- Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Show initiative, leadership, and positive can-do attitude
- Be comfortable with change and fast-paced environment
- Experience in geospatial/planetary data processing and products is highly desirable
- Knowledge on OpenCV is a plus