ispace Europe is seeking a highly motivated and talented Developer to implement the company’s Mission Planning Tools and Planetary Data Center.
ispace is a private lunar exploration company whose vision is to expand and sustain humanity’s presence in space by utilizing resources available on the Moon. ispace was a Google Lunar XPRIZE finalist and its 4kg SORATO rover won the XPRIZE mobility milestone award. In addition to rovers, ispace is developing lunar landers with two missions already scheduled for launch in 2020 and 2021.
ispace Europe is the company’s regional office located in Luxembourg, in the heart of Europe. We are developing the next rover missions that will prospect for lunar water and thereby set the first milestone toward lunar ISRU. ispace Europe core engineering competences are in lunar science, rover navigation, mission planning, data processing, and mission systems engineering. We are a diverse and growing team, motivated by the challenges of the Lunar Frontier, and determined to achieve the company’s vision. We rely on every engineer to exhibit a cross-functional mindset, intellectual curiosity, willingness to bridge gaps, appreciation for process, and understanding of the system two levels up and two levels down. The candidate must be self-driven, continuously self-improving, and proud of her/his work.
The Data Tools Developer will be responsible for creating the suite of tools and environments used to process, analyze, and interpret data collected from our lunar missions. You will work with the mission scientist to create brand new tools for selecting landing sites and planning surface operations and with other data engineers to construct the Planetary Data Center that will process ispace mission data.
- Work with engineering and business teams to conceive, design and implement the first set of scalable tools for planning lunar mission
- Work with the data center architect and the mission scientist to create the first planetary data processing pipelines using existing datasets from past missions
- Test, verify and validate all your products, collect and analyze user feedback, iterate
- Research and stay up to date with state of the art tools and data processing methods used in planetary science, terrestrial mining, remote sensing, and media industry
- Identify opportunities and make recommendations for applying these methods and AI, AR, VR techniques to make your tools more capable and effective
Required skills and qualifications
- B.S./MS in computer sciences, engineering or related field, or equivalent industry experience
- 3 to 5 years of experience in software development
- Excellent coding and debugging skills
- Knowledge or ability to quickly ramp up with machine learning, deep learning and data science
- Experience in documenting data definitions and writing reports in a business-friendly language
- Exhibit strong intellectual curiosity about the science, engineering, and business disciplines adjacent to your domain of expertise
- Be highly organized and capable of planning and executing complex technical work
- Thrive in multi-disciplinary environment in close cooperation with science, engineering and business teams
- Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Show initiative, leadership, and positive can-do attitude
- Be comfortable with change and fast-paced environment
- Experience in geospatial/planetary data processing and products is highly desirable
- Knowledge on OpenCV is a plus