ispace is a private lunar exploration company whose vision is to expand and sustain humanity’s presence in space by utilizing resources available on the Moon. ispace was a Google Lunar XPRIZE finalist and its 4kg SORATO rover won the XPRIZE mobility milestone award. In addition to rovers, ispace is developing lunar landers with two missions already scheduled for launch in 2020 and 2021.
ispace Europe is the company’s regional office located in Luxembourg, in the heart of Europe. We are developing the next rover missions that will prospect for lunar water and thereby set the first milestone toward lunar ISRU. ispace Europe core engineering competences are in lunar science, rover navigation, mission planning, data processing, and mission systems engineering. We are a diverse and growing team, motivated by the challenges of the Lunar Frontier, and determined to achieve the company’s vision.
At ispace Europe, you will be fully integrated in the team and have a direct impact on the company’s performance. We expect you to learn quickly, contribute your own ideas and solutions, and collaborate effectively. We also are looking forward to learning from you about emerging techniques and software that we should adopt to enhance our work. As MBSE intern you will build a framework for rapidly modelling complex lunar exploration systems that will augment our mission concept & design capabilities. You will build this frameworks in the context of other analytical and simulation tools that are used for design, verification, and validation. The modelization will done using system modelling language (SysML). The purpose of the models is to allow quick assessments of potential candidates (use-cases). The internship will be supported by the Mission System Engineer.
The intern will perform the following tasks:
- Get in-depth knowledge of the lunar exploration system
- Propose a methodology to model the system
- Establish models using SysML diagrams
- Identify potential models interfaces with downstream models
- Perform models simulation (on different use-cases)
- Propose a roadmap for further development of MBSE capabilities at ispace and for the integration of the MBSE framework with our mission planning and data processing tools
- Enrolled in MS or PhD program in relevant discipline
- Possess hands-on experience in the core technologies of your discipline, with one or more published papers in your field of study
- Strong knowledge of SysML (structure, behaviour, requirements and parametric)
- Good understanding of system modelling (requirements, functional analysis, decomposition, concept of operations)
- Demonstrate excellent communication and work organisation
- Show initiative and positive can-do attitude
- Has gone through the iterative process of problem identification, approach definition, analysis and/or test, data reduction and interpretation, and communication of results
- Proficiency in various MBSE tools e.g. Papyrus, Capella, Cameo, Innoslate...
- Previous experience (internship) in simulation models e.g. Matlab/Simulink
ispace Europe internship programs are available year-round and paid if for durations of 6 months or more. Applications require the submissions of a resume, cover letter, and one letter of recommendation. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.