ispace Europe is seeking a highly motivated and talented data scientist & developer for a Postdoctoral Research Position in collaboration with the Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST).
The researcher will apply the latest data modeling and visualisation techniques to build the first intelligent tool suite for helping lunar mission scientists and engineers process, analyse, and interpret resource data collected from both orbital and surficial exploration missions to the Moon. The researcher is expected to exhibit a cross-functional mindset, intellectual curiosity, willingness to bridge gaps, and understanding of the system two levels up and two levels down. The candidate must be self-driven, continuously self-improving, and proud of their work.
- Work with the ispace Europe and LIST to conceive, design and implement the first set of scalable tools for planning lunar missions
- Work with the ispace mission scientist, resource engineer, and data architect to understand the customer needs, define product features, and roadmap
- Collaborate with LIST Environmental Informatics group to apply latest geocomputation, data visualisation, and artificial intelligence techniques
- Test, verify and validate all your products, collect and analyze user feedback, iterate
- Research and stay up to date with state of the art tools and data processing methods used in the planetary science, terrestrial mining, remote sensing, and media industry
Required Skills and Qualifications
- PhD in computer science, astronomy, geology, or related field
- Excellent coding and debugging skills
- Knowledge or ability to quickly ramp up with data science and large-scale data processing
- Exhibit strong intellectual curiosity about the science, engineering, and business disciplines adjacent to your domain of expertise
- Be highly organized and capable of planning and executing complex technical work
- Thrive in multi-disciplinary environment in close cooperation with science, engineering and business teams
- Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Show initiative, leadership, and positive can-do attitude
- Be comfortable with change and fast-paced environment
- Experience in geospatial/planetary data processing and products is highly desirable
- Knowledge on OpenCV is a plus
ispace is a private lunar exploration company whose vision is to expand and sustain humanity’s presence in space by utilizing resources available on the Moon. ispace was a Google Lunar XPRIZE finalist and its 4kg SORATO rover won the XPRIZE mobility milestone award. In addition to rovers, ispace is developing lunar landers with two missions already scheduled for launch in 2020 and 2021.
ispace Europe is the company’s regional office located in Luxembourg, in the heart of Europe. We are developing the next rover missions that will prospect for lunar water and thereby set the first milestone toward lunar ISRU. ispace Europe core engineering competencies are in lunar science, rover navigation, mission planning, data processing, and mission systems engineering. We are a diverse and growing team, motivated by the challenges of the Lunar Frontier, and determined to achieve the company’s vision.
About LIST Environmental Informatics
The activities of the Environmental Informatics unit mainly consist in conducting impact driven research, development and innovation within the field of environmental informatics. As a result LIST's researchers design, implement and evaluate innovative ICT methods and tools that contribute to a more sustainable future that not only protects environment but do so while also promoting socio-economic welfare.
Extensive research and development has resulted in a range of innovative ICT tools that are designed to help the public, practitioners and scientists tackle today’s environmental challenges. The unit has a diverse portfolio of projects funded under various competitive calls at national and international level: EU H2020, EU INTERREG, ESA, FNR, ANR, FWF, and NASA. Researchers are also involved in collaborative projects with industry. Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the projects, the staff members have developed a solid experience in working with people with various backgrounds from business and academia.
The staff members manage a Mixed Reality Lab, equipped with state-of-art augmented and virtual reality systems. They also have access to the LIST's High Performance Computer (HPC). At the end of 2018, a new large visualisation wall will also be available to support our activities.