The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defence, non-defence and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aero-structures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, France, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, France, Germany, the UK and France.
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking an experienced space industry RF/Microwave Engineer to work at ESA’s ESTEC site in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
You will be assigned to the RF Payload Engineering Section within the Directorate of Technical and Quality Management.
The activities to be performed cover:
• Contribute to internal R&D activities for the design, modelling, architectural trade-off and performance assessment of advanced space-based RF payloads and instruments in the domain of Telecommunications (emphasis on payloads based on active antennas) and Earth Observation (Synthetic Aperture Radars, Altimeters, Scatterometers, Radiometers);
• Perform technical management of R&D activities with the space industry in the field of advanced payload concepts and sub-systems/equipment development;
• Provide RF payload technical support to ESA projects and programmes;
• Contribute to the generation and promotion of innovative ideas in the field of RF payloads for telecommunications and earth observation applications, including the definition of ESA R&D programmes.
• Define technical requirements and statements of work for the tasks of R&D activities to be performed by industry, from early conceptual studies to full hardware development;
• Contribute to the development/usage of section related laboratory facilities and analysis/simulation tools;
• Maintain state-of-the-art expertise by monitoring the space and ground system and technological trends and applying them in the day-to-day tasks.
This is a full-time position located at ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
The requested start of work is April 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Qualifications & Competencies
The successful candidate shall have:
• A PhD or Master’s Degree in Telecommunications, Microwave or RF Electronics Engineering.
• At least 4 years’ relevant industrial working experience in the RF domain and space industry.
• A good background and several years of working experience on design, development and testing of Radio Frequency space-based payloads and instruments for space applications in the domain of telecommunications and remote sensing.
• Very good knowledge of analog and digital signal processing.
• Very good knowledge of software and simulation tools and programming (Matlab/Simulink, ADS/VSS, C/C++, Python).
• Prior experience with defining and running R&D activities would be a distinct advantage.
• Prior knowledge of ESA programmes and processes would be useful.
• Capable of promoting cooperation e.g. between industry and Agency actors.
• Excellent team-working and problem-solving skills.
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
• Great opportunities for training and personal development
• Challenges in advanced technical environment
• International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
• An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
• Highly competitive salary
• Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed, please apply exclusively through our website http://www.terma.com/careers/jobs/ and upload a cover Letter explaining your background and expertise, as well as your earliest date of availability, and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.