The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defence, non-defence and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aero-structures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, France, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, France, Germany, the UK and France.
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking an experienced Safety Engineer to work at ESA’s ESTEC site in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
You will be assigned to the Independent Safety Office and primarily assigned to support ISS Programme safety reviews and activities. The specific tasks cover:
• Support the ESA Safety Review Panel (ESRP) chairman in the conduct of ESA safety reviews for the certification of International Space Station systems and payloads;
• Provide technical support to projects for the interpretation of safety requirements and the preparation of the safety review data package;
• Perform ESA Safety Review Panel secretarial tasks for data package distribution, reviews planning and logistics, collection of reviewers inputs, issue of official ESRP minutes of meeting ensuring that they are executed according to the process requirements in SSP 30599 and the complementary ESA processes;
• Perform preliminary assessment of safety data package readiness for review;
• Track and process action items responses and safety verifications closeouts;
• Upload of documentation in NASA and ESA databases;
• Assess safety analyses and safety compliance data packages prepared by cargo items providers (industrial contractors, experimenters, National Agencies, ISS commercial users) and provide detailed written feedback;
• Support safety review meetings as Operations Safety panel expert; Review the implementation of entries in the ESA Operations Control Agreement Database (eOCAD);
• Provide readiness inputs and certification for pre-SORR meeting;
• Support ESA in the review of ISS Change Requests relevant to Safety requirements;
• Execute any other safety engineering related task upon request of the ESA Technical Responsible;
• Provide support to the ESRP Chairperson for the aspect associated to resolution of technical issues and conduction of safety reviews;
• Prepare weekly report on the executed safety engineering activities;
The requested start of work is April 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Qualifications & Competencies
The successful candidate will have:
• A Masters’ level degree in an engineering discipline or the technical sciences.
• A minimum of 4 years’ industrial experience including relevant experience in the design and engineering of safety critical systems, ideally acquired in the space sector;
• Knowledge of system safety engineering principle, methods and processes;
• Hands-on knowledge of the safety analyses and methodologies;
• Experience in human spaceflight safety with emphasis on the application of ISS safety requirements and processes;
• Understanding of the hazards which are intrinsic of a system and /or induced by space operations, and the way they are eliminated or controlled;
• Knowledge of the way safety data are generated, validated, and retained in support of the ISS programme safety certification;
• Knowledge of Configuration Management;
• Knowledge of ISS systems, subsystems and payloads would be an asset;
• Knowledge of ESA and NASA safety certification process, including verification methods and procedures, would be an asset;
• Familiarity with space product assurance practices is an advantage;
• Good interpersonal, organization, and communication skills with the ability to work in a diverse team environment;
• Capacity to handle complex situations and complex environment;
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
• Great opportunities for training and personal development
• Challenges in advanced technical environment
• International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
• An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
• Highly competitive salary
• Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed, please apply exclusively through our website http://www.terma.com/careers/jobs/ and upload a cover Letter explaining your background and expertise, as well as your earliest date of availability, and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
Closing date: March 4th 2019
Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
• Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
• Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
• A Certificate of Good Conduct or equivalent will be applied for at commencement of employment.
• This Privacy Notice covers any personal data you submit to Terma for the recruiting process, including e.g.:
• Your name, contact details and application status
• Information included in your CV or cover letter, such as job history, academic background, skills and competencies, personal interests, languages spoken, and your photo
• Job preferences and type of employment sought
• Names and contact details for references