Position Reference: 060
You will have the opportunity to manage Mission Data Systems (MDS), which include specific software applications for the domains of Space Weather, Near Earth Objects and Space Surveillance and Tracking of the Space Safety programme. It also covers Mission Control System, Mission Planning System, Operational Simulators, Service Provision Data Centre and Advanced Software Applications.
Tasks and Activities
The key person shall work in close cooperation with the SSA Data System Manager and SSA Data Centre Manager and with the SSA Segment teams, in order to drive innovation through implementing DevOps technologies and championing DevOps culture.
The tasks may include:
• Automating CI/CD processes
• Providing training in usage of CI/CD, container orchestration, and DevOps tools.
• Develop release approach using automated, containerized deployment techniques
• Develop automation scripts, daemons, and APIs to reduce manual steps
• Analyze root causes of issues and provide corrective actions.
• Evaluate new tools and techniques to drive efficiencies.
• Manage Cloud infrastructure services and accounts.
• Keep evolving system and application monitoring infrastructure
The scope of work will include:
• Development and Maintenance of Mission Data Systems (MDS)
• Specification and management of Software Requirements
• Contractual and technical work for the start of a new MDS project
• Running the MDS software development and maintenance projects
• Support the Management and perform internal activities related to MDS (deployment, testing, configuration etc…) according to ESOC internal processes.
• Support to Mission’s critical activities
• Organisation of Software Support (SWS) on-site & environment preparation
• Role of Software Coordinator
• Support to missions during the whole lifetime
• Review of MIRD and contribution to MIP
• Definition of external and internal interfaces
• Contribution to the SFIRD, GSSRD, GSSTP and review of SGICD
• Support to Ground Segment Reviews
• Support to regular progress meetings with Project and ESOC team
• Support SVT/SOVT/E2E tests and in general FCT activity
• Support mission closure and retirement of SW and HW items
• Support to 3rd Party and Special Projects
• Support the ESA service manager in defining the technical and organisational setup of ESA service, including SLA and costing
• Interact with ESA external 3rd party entities (e.g. EUD, GSA, DLR, NASA, …) under agreement of TR
• Support ESA from data systems perspective towards external entities, in particular to recommend agreement on technical and organisational interfaces
• Coordinate the in-house and industrial data systems team
• Interact with companies of new member states in preparation process for new activities
• Assume the data system architect role for special projects which are not based on reference architecture of ground segments for missions (such as SSA, METERON, IAP)
• Contribute to bring OPS-GD and Data Systems perspective in collaborative projects with other ESA entities, in the context of special projects and future missions (e.g. NAV, TEC, HRE)
• Coordinate the in-house developments of MDS for small missions
• Support to study, innovation and standardisation
• Prepare proposals
• Run approved studies or innovation works
• Organise and coordinate joint projects with other agencies in the context of standardisation (e.g. interoperability testing, prototyping)
• Support ESA as a member of international Standardisation working groups
• Other tasks
• Support tasks at division level
• Support Quality Management and actively contribute to improve ESOC internal processes and tools.
• Support to OPS-GI infrastructure activities
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
• You have Master’s Degree in the relevant discipline.
• You have at least 3 years of experience in:
• Development and maintenance of Mission Data Systems
• Service Provision Data Centre and Advanced Software Applications development
• DEVOPS, Cloud Computing, Deployment Automation
• MDS project and documentation
• You are able to coordinate and interact with other service providers in operations and other fields.
• You have experience in project management
• You have experience in software engineering
• You have experience with development and maintenance of big software projects
• You have experience with requirements management (knowledge of tools, e.g. doors)
• You have a good knowledge of SSA systems
• You have a good knowledge of ESOC infrastructure
• You have a good knowledge of ESOC operational environment
• You have a good knowledge of Standards (Engineering and Quality)
• You are aware of the technology trends and interest in R&T
• You are fluent in English.
• You are able to interface with several different areas/people in ESOC
• You are capable to establish and maintain good working relationships with Industry and SSA Segment teams
The following skills would be highly desirable:
• You have a good knowledge of the SSA systems, in particular in the area of Space Weather.
• You have a good knowledge of advanced application deployment automation solutions (containers, Chef) and public and private Cloud environments.
• You have experience dealing with external interfaces.
• You are familiar with MDS coordination.
How to Apply
Looking to take your career to the next level? Interested applicants should submit their CV and Cover Letter to RHEA’s Recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 15/02/2019.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.
About RHEA Group
RHEA Group is a leading engineering consultancy firm with demonstrated expertise in space, system- and secure software solutions.
We attract skilled engineers, scientists and management professionals; and offer a range of exciting career paths working alongside clients such as the European Space Agency, the European GNSS Agency, EUMETSAT and NATO.