Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Space Frequency Manager (M/F) is open within Airbus Defence & Space in Toulouse, France.
The Frequency Management team is the transverse Center of Competence (CoC) supporting any wireless communications business by advising on the selection and use of the relevant frequencies. As a consequence, this CoC is interacting with many teams such as Strategy, Innovation, Pre-sales, Marketing and Sales, Bids, Programs, Service Delivery.
As a Space Frequency Manager, your activities will be focused on orbit and frequencies for space systems (telecommunication satellites, earth-observation satellites, navigation satellites and orbital systems).
According to your specific domain, you will actively participate to all related strategy, technical and regulatory actions.
In order to ensure your long-term success in our team, your integration will be assured in a qualitative way through initial and continuous “on the job” training.
Tasks & accountabilities
In interaction with the main stakeholders of the “Space Systems” Program Line, you will be involved in the following activities:
Contributing to the relevant strategies and action plans about Frequency Management by:
• Forming a good understanding of the Business needs and targets in terms of technology, market and frequency challenges;
• Recommending the best options, de-risking and, accompanying their implementation with the support of relevant stakeholders;
• Anticipating and developing opportunities to support the positioning and growth of the Program Line businesses and products.
Developing and implementing technical/regulatory strategies to support Space Systems’ Sales and bid & tender teams and secure appropriate orbit/frequency resources for the Program Line and its Customers:
• Handling the international processes to access and secure orbit/frequency rights with the United Nations specialized agency, on behalf of Space Systems and its Customers;
• Monitoring In-Orbit satellites and 3rd Party requests for orbit/frequency rights and sharing intelligence with programs, business development, innovation, strategy, sales, bid and tenders and marketing;
• Negotiating bilateral agreements with neighboring satellite operators (frequency coordination), to prevent interference between systems once in operation.
This role could involve frequent travel for business in Europe and abroad, up to one day to one week once every one or two months and you must be able to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
• Engineering degree (or equivalent) in telecommunication discipline.
• A significant experience in a related position (frequencies for space systems, ITU filings and Satellite coordination, knowledge in satellite link budgets, system design and associated tools will be appreciated).
• Appetite for wireless communications.
• Customer-oriented and determined to succeed with reliability, autonomy and initiative, team player, multi-national culture, able to influence.
• Negotiation level in English is required.