• Lead Guidance Navigation and Control systems development and design activities for Astroscale missions: derive and maintain AOCS (Attitude & Orbit Control of the System)/GNC (guidance, navigation, and control) sub-system requirements, define and maintain AOCS/GNC sub-system design.
• Contribute to system level activities, such as: developing mission CONOPS (Concept of Operations), defining FMECA (Failure Mode, Effects, and Criticality Analysis) and FDIR (Fault/Failure Detection, Isolation, and Recovery) processes and design, system test and verification activities.
• Support control law and algorithms development – analyse, design, implement and validate (simulate) scenarios for RPO (rendezvous and proximity operations), working with flight dynamics engineers to develop passively safe trajectories for RPO. Design control laws to implement RPO & docking manoeuvres.
• Support development of GNC hardware architecture, trade-off analysis of hardware towards an overall GNC hardware solution.
• Support development of GNC software architecture, implementing algorithms into GNC flight software, towards an overall GNC software solution.
• Support procurement engineers with trade-off and selection of GNC equipment.
• Review and mentoring of AOCS/GNC activities and implementations, providing expert technical feedback, supporting internal review for our projects and providing guidance and mentoring to junior staff.
• 3+ years of experience as an AOCS or GNC systems engineer involved in the design, implementation and testing of GNC solutions for actual spacecraft missions.
• Experience of algorithm & control law development: use of GNC design and simulation software e.g., MATLAB, implementation of control laws and real world effects (non-linearities, signal noise, tuning), translating algorithms into operational flight software. Preferable to have experience of implementation of RPO and docking algorithms and solutions.
• Experience of hardware trade-offs and hardware and software GNC architectural design.
• 5+ years of experience as an AOCS or GNC systems engineer involved in the design, implementation and testing of GNC solutions for actual spacecraft missions.
• Operational experience of on-orbit satellite operations.
• Extended experience in control law design, beyond classical techniques: non linear design, optimal. Any experience of self-learning algorithms (prediction, self-tuning) and AI (Artificial Intelligence e.g. supervised and unsupervised machine learning).
• Extensive knowledge of GNC sensor systems (trade-offs/ procurement, data processing) including cameras, IR and LiDAR.
• Understanding of safety across the GNC design spectrum: passively safe trajectories, safety critical flight software, operator and ground segment interaction (and level of autonomy), abort manoeuvres, and collision avoidance manoeuvres.
• Knowledge of orbital debris removal including licensing, export, regulation, space law.
• Knowledge of missions concerning active debris removal or RPO: RemoveDebris, CleanSpace / ESA projects e.g. e.DeOrbit, DEOS, ATV, ETS-7, DARPA Express.
Astroscale UK (Harwell), with occasional travelling to Astroscale Japan (Tokyo)
Astroscale Holdings Inc. is the first private company with a mission to secure long-term spaceflight safety and orbital sustainability for the benefit of future generations. Founded in 2013, Astroscale is developing innovative and scalable solutions for satellite end-of-life and active debris removal services in order to mitigate the growing and hazardous build-up of debris in space. Headquartered in Japan with offices in the UK and Singapore, Astroscale is a rapidly expanding venture company, preparing to solve a growing environmental concern.
Astroscale is currently developing its second mission, ELSA-d, a technology demonstration for end-of-life services and pursuing complementary missions with potential customers.