About us: It’s a great time to be part of the SES team
We are the world’s leading satellite operator with over 70 satellites in two different orbits, Geostationary Orbit (GEO) and Medium Earth Orbit (MEO). We provide a diverse range of customers with global video distribution and data connectivity services through two business units: SES Video and SES Networks. Our global team works collaboratively to make a significant, and often life-changing difference in the world. As part of our team, you will play an integral part in delivering on our vision. At SES, we connect and enable broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers, and enrich the lives of billions of people worldwide.
Engineer, Ground Systems
Island of Man - Douglas
Based on the Isle of Man, you will implement and provide operational support for ground stations and systems / processes, for the Isle of Man and teleports abroad, which are used to enable SES’ spacecrafts deployments/operations as well as to deliver services to SES customers. You will design, analyze, specify, implement and enhance SES TT&C and Teleport Communications Systems, as well as the Ground Control & Monitoring Systems that SES requires in order to fulfill its multiple satellite missions. This position will also require maintaining and enhancing Spacecraft Operation Control (SOC) infrastructures and associated baseband systems, the ranging and in-orbit systems as well as the fix and mobile teleport infrastructures for payload signal uplinks or related IF/RF measurement systems. You will lead and/or support the above tasks for SES SL ground stations as well as internationally, for other SES entities located abroad.
• Perform project management activities over the full project life cycles of the ground systems and SOC, including: collection/definition of the requirements, tracking the schedule and budget, leading procurement activities and performing the associated oversight with selected vendors, providing 2nd/3rd level operational support including 1st level support for the Isle of Man Teleport and other teleports as required by other SES entities
• The 2nd and 3rd level tasks includes:
• To develop, lead and/or perform the Annual Preventative Maintenance Schedule (electro mechanical and RF) for the Isle of Man Ground System
•To report all maintenance and corrective tasks using the relevant modules in the SAP system
•To organize, maintain and keep the site spare stock operational and at a sufficient level all the time
•To manage the site test equipment pool for completeness, functionality and calibration
•To perform a yearly inventory / location check of all installed and warehoused assets
•To deploy occasionally to other SES or third-party Teleports globally for system troubleshooting, corrective maintenance tasks and/or tasks as described above
• Implement contract auditing and supporting GI/STP for 3rd party Teleport Contracts for SES satellites as part of standard operating procedures
• Deliver clear, concise, timely and constructive strategic or technical guidance and co-operative support to peers/customers in- and outside the company as an established expert in the ground engineering field and act as a trusted representative of the company
Your Experience / Qualifications
• University degree (BS/MS) in Electrical/Telecommunications Engineering degree or equivalent
• Minimum of five (5) years relevant engineering experience in a similar role
• Experience as a Systems Engineer and/or as Project Manager
• Good knowledge on electrical power system, cooling system and civil / structural engineering
• Knowledge on terrestrial networking elements (IP)
• Fluency in written and oral English. Other languages considered as assets.
• Ability to obtain security clearance to access restricted, ITAR controlled documents
• Willingness to travel on a regular basis (up to 50% of the time)
• Resident on, or willingness to relocate to, the Isle of Man
• Sound analytical skills, innovative mind, coordination & priority setting facility, problem solving
• Project & time management, critical task/tactical related decision making
• Negotiation skills, assertiveness and ability to seek working solutions within program constraints.
• Vendor relation skills and diplomatic skills as well as the ability to provide practical conclusions
• Excellent communications skills both written and oral
• Self-motivated and capable to work both independently and within a team
• Strong ability to establish good business relationships with various internal and external stakeholders from multidisciplinary backgrounds
What’s in it for you?
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer you a truly global opportunity in an exciting industry and all the support you’ll need for both your professional and personal development. But most of all, we offer a truly unique opportunity to play your part in making a difference for those who need it most. We strive to uphold honesty, transparency and courage in everything we do. We’re proud to belong to the SES team and collaborate towards success.
Good to know
For more information on SES, click here.
SES is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes diversity!