As one of the world’s leading providers of managed secure communications, we are responsible for our customers’ time- and mission-critical communications. In short, everything we do up there in space is to empower them to accomplish their goals down here on Earth.
We are world leaders providing global fixed and mobile secure communication services to governments, militaries and security forces. Indeed, as the world’s number one private-sector military secure communications provider, we provide the flexibility, resiliency and security required by demanding governments and militaries.
We do this for all communications applications, whether they’re land, airborne or naval.
As a global organisation, we at Airbus understand local markets, allowing us to support our customers wherever they are. With regional strategic sales and support services in Europe, the Americas, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, our presence on the ground where our customers need us most is bolstered by our global reach.
Description of the job
We're looking for a Power Electrical Specialist to join our team within Airbus Defence and Space in Newport.
The Power/Electrical Engineer will report directly to the Head of Operations - Ground Communications Engineering and reviews the current status and inputs from the customer and producing technical reports covering our requirements for electrical and physical designs including power provision, uninterruptable power supplies (UPS), earthing, electrical safety, EMC, TEMPEST.
You will also conduct a site survey and assess the environmental considerations and electrical/mechanical interfaces.
You will ensure the equipment design meets current customer requirements and contractual obligations.
You will produce a BoM for new equipment that meets your design criteria.
You will be the expert in the aforementioned disciplines.
What we offer
• Participation in Europe-wide projects as prime supplier
• Exciting development opportunities and perspectives within Airbus as a global player
• An attractive salary and company pension scheme
• Airbus Group success share scheme
• An range of additional benefits, such as travel insurance for the whole family, child care vouchers, etc.
• Flexible working hours, 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
Tasks & accountabilities
• Conduct site survey of equipment and associated passive infrastructure
• Complete power/physical technical reports
• Create and check BoM meets expectations and matches design
• Perform installation - includes removal of existing hardware and installation of replacement hardware
• Ensure design/implementation is completed to the necessary MilStan/DefStan.
• Create electrical and installation designs
• Collaborate with the Drawing Office to produce custom design solutions
• Calculate power loading / earthing and proposing appropriate solutions
• Act as customer representative by deciding upon the suitability of a solution or system through testing that the solution meets the specification.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
• Educated to degree/HND level (or equivalent) in Electrical/Electronic engineering
• IEEE wiring regulations version 17
• Appropriate MilStan/DefStan experience and training
• Deployable and military communication systems experience
• Detailed familiarity of site preparation and construction including: rack installation, electrical wiring and loading, wall penetrations, safety practices, heating and cooling considerations.
• Knowledge of interior and exterior fibre optic and copper cable wiring, including single-mode, multimode and hybrid fibre optic cable, shielded and unshielded Category 5e cable, and termination and testing of new and legacy systems
Because of the nature of work undertaken, these positions are required to meet special nationality rules and therefore these vacancies are only open to sole British Citizens. If you who meet this criteria you will also undergo security clearance vetting, if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.