EGSE and DataBase Support Engineer - JUICE - Friedrichshafen (with option Toulouse), Ref: 19-18769
The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defence, non-defence and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aero-structures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, France, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, France, Germany, the UK and France.
For our customer, Airbus Defence and Space, we are seeking an experienced EGSE (Electrical Ground Support Equipment) and DataBase Engineer support to strengthen and support our AIT team on ESA’s JUICE (Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer) project.
The position is focussed on the EGSE integration of the Flight Model (FM) in Friedrichshafen, Germany, followed for 2 months for environmental tests (Netherlands-Germany). You will have the option to continue afterwards with the mission on both spacecraft (S/C), the Engineering (EM) and Flight (FM) model, in Toulouse (the option to end the mission in Kourou for launch is under discussion). You will have the opportunity to follow nearly the entire AIT period of the JUICE S/C until launch.
You will be assigned to the JUICE AIT Department at Airbus Defence and Space.
You will provide on demand expertise in activities related to EGSE systems:
• Understanding of EGSE interfaces, user manual and functions.
• EGSE setup and operation, locally, through Terma’s CCS or ATP commands.
• Contribution to the follow-up of JUICE tools on the EM (Talent issues, KWL update, FVI review and OPS team). Focal point for reporting on FVI meeting.
• CCS installation upgrades and configuration control.
• Creation and / or adaptation of synoptic pictures.
• FOPs deliveries management. It means installation of FOPs and coordination with OPS team.
• Participation, under Airbus team lead, to the preparation and operations of validation activities, run for the first time at EGSE delivery, then repeated after upgrading the EGSE. Validation consists in more detailed health checks than installation, locally and/or under CCS control, and in dedicated tests to check the critical interfaces of the EGSE. Then the EGSE can be connected to the S/C interfaces. In some cases, the validation phase is continuing after S/C coupling, in order to check the behavior and the performances of the EGSE in real conditions.
• Work according to JUICE test plans, test specifications, coding rules, safety and operations documents.
• Follow EGSE design documents, ICDs (Interface Control Document, Electrical, mechanical, TMTC) and user manuals.
• Configuration management: the purpose of this activity is to have a permanent knowledge of the EGSE configuration, in terms of HW, SW and database, and in terms of EGSE status (installed, validated), and to record any change in the evolution of this configuration. It is also requested to permanently check that EGSE configuration (status, parameters, modes, connections, HW, SW versions) is compatible with the S/C configuration and in line with the objective of the S/C tests.
• Support maintenance activities: mainly preventive maintenance when applicable running EGSE procedures,
• Support upgrade activities (HW or SW), using the EGSE procedures. SW upgrades are also foreseen for the SIMAIT simulator, phased with the CSW versioning.
• Support for database:
- maintaining permanently the AIT database up-to-date (parameters of scoe, specific monitoring, telecommands, communication protocol between CCS and scoe …),
- Import of the SRDB on the CCS5 of Terma, consistent with the CSW version under test, with local modifications when needed.
- Support configuration control aspects: Recording any change in the evolution of this configuration and providing a continuous configuration control of the database, to ensure that it is compatible with the S/C configuration
• The engineer will also support the AIT team in following tasks:
- Responding to problems / questions from the Juice team regarding database population,
- Logging, documenting and closing database related problems.
- Management of the EGSE machines under Ansible tool.
- Scripts shell and python development.
- Network configuration and management.
- VMware ESXi tools.
- Configuration of multi users tests platform.
Full-time position located at Airbus Defence and Space in Friedrichshafen, Germany, the Netherlands with option to continue the mission in Toulouse, France.
The requested start of work is as soon as possible, ideally July 2019.
Qualifications & Competencies
The successful candidate shall have:
• A Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Space Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline.
• At least 3 years’ relevant post-graduate working experience preferably in the space domain.
• Good programming skills, especially in tcl language.
• Knowledge of the verification approach, and of the S/C technical domains under test
• Knowledge of the EGSE and bench architecture, network infrastructures, verification approach.
• Good knowledge in electronics and SW domains for EGSE support - ideally Terma CCS5/TOPE
• Good knowledge of database tools for database support
• Experience in satellite AIT activities is needed.
• Good knowledge in UNIX/Linux/Windows usage and Jira tool.
• Knowledge SCOS 2000 and the SCOS 2000 MIB ICD desirable
• Knowledge of ECSS – in particularly PUS and its tailoring would be an asset.
• Knowledge of MIB (format for database exports) would be an asset.
• IT experience.
• An ability to work flexible and reactive within an international team is essential
• English fluency in English, French and/or German appreciated
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
• Great opportunities for training and personal development
• Challenges in advanced technical environment
• International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
• An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
• Highly competitive salary
• Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed, please apply exclusively through our website https://www.terma.com/careers/apply-to-open-positions/and upload a cover Letter explaining your background and expertise, as well as your earliest date of availability, and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
For further information, please contact Mr. Guido Damm by telephone [+33 7.78.05.75.87] or by email [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Closing date: as soon as adequate candidate is accepted by Airbus DS
Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
• Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
• Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
• A Certificate of Good Conduct or equivalent will be applied for at commencement of employment.
This Privacy Notice covers any personal data you submit to Terma for the recruiting process, including e.g.:
• Your name, contact details and application status
• Information included in your CV or cover letter, such as job history, academic background, skills and competencies, personal interests, languages spoken, and your photo
• Job preferences and type of employment sought
• Names and contact details for references