Position Reference: 582
You will have the opportunity to work at the technical heart of the European Space Agency, the European Centre for Space Research and Technology, and provide technical engineering support to safety-related projects and activities.
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
• Support the ESA Safety Review Panel chairman in the conduct of ESA safety reviews for the certification of International Space Station systems and payloads;
• Provide technical support to projects for the interpretation of safety requirements and the preparation of the safety review data package;
• Assess safety analyses and safety compliance data packages prepared by cargo items providers (industrial contractors, experimenters, National Agencies, ISS commercial users) and provide detailed written feedback;
• Support safety review meetings as Operations Safety panel expert;
• Review the implementation of entries in the ESA Operations Control Agreement Database (eOCAD);
• Support ESA in the review of ISS Change Requests relevant to Safety requirements;
• Support the Operations Data File (ODF) and Mission Action Request MAR/CHIT process and related approvals;
• Execute any other safety engineering related task upon request of the ESA Technical Responsible;
• Provide support to the ESRP Chairperson for the aspect associated to resolution of technical issues and conduction of safety reviews;
• Provide safety engineering support to the ISS flight operations team;
• Provide safety-engineering support during mission preparation and execution for anomalies and unplanned maintenance;
• Provide safety assessment of on-orbit anomalies;
• Perform training activities as required;
• Ensure that Operational Hazard Control Matrix (OHCM) database / LISA tables are updated by Industry/USOCs;
• Perform training activities as required;
• Support NASA Mission Evaluation Room (MER) Safety and NASA Flight Operations Directorate safety for approval of maintenance operations;
• Support the review of Integrated Experiment Hazard Analysis (IEHA).
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
• You have a Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering, Physics or Aerospace Engineering.
• You have at least 4 years of relevant work experience.
• You have hands-on knowledge of the safety analyses and methodologies.
• You have experience in human spaceflight safety with emphasis on the application of ISS safety requirements and processes.
• You have good interpersonal, organization and communication skills, with the ability to work in a diverse team environment.
• You have knowledge of ISS systems, subsystems and payloads, of ISS safety requirements and their related implementation.
• You have extended understanding of the hazard which are intrinsic of a system and/or induced by space operations, and the way they are eliminated or controlled.
• You have relevant experience in the design and engineering of safety critical systems.
• You have knowledge of the way safety data are generated, validated and retained in support of the ISS programme safety certification.
• You have knowledge of Configuration Management.
• You are able to handle complex situations and complex environment.
• You have extensive knowledge of system safety engineering principle, methods and processes.
• You have knowledge of ISS operations environment.
• You have clear and focused communication skills.
The following skills would be highly desirable:
• You are familiar with space product assurance practices.
• You have knowledge of ESA and NASA safety certification process, including verification methods and procedures.
How to Apply
Looking to take your career to the next level? Interested applicants should submit their CV and Cover Letter to RHEA’s Recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 05/12/2019.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.
About RHEA Group
RHEA Group is a leading engineering consultancy firm with demonstrated expertise in space, system- and secure software solutions.
We attract skilled engineers, scientists and management professionals; and offer a range of exciting career paths working alongside clients such as the European Space Agency, the European GNSS Agency, EUMETSAT and NATO.