DLR GfR mbH is a company providing reliable, safe and secure aerospace services. We operate and manage the constellation of Galileo satellites in the Galileo Control Center Oberpfaffenhofen on behalf of the European Commission.
Our company headquarters is located in the five-lake region in Upper Bavaria close to Munich, a place where other people enjoy their holidays. At the space industry location in Oberpfaffenhofen, our approx. 170 dedicated employees perform their tasks each day working in international and interdisciplinary teams focusing on tomorrow’s navigation. Join us in shaping the future ...
... and play an essential role inside of Europe’s flagship project Galileo as a
Ground Segment Operations Engineer (m/f/d)
Five minutes to the first contact with the next satellites to join the Galileo Constellation. The satellites have just launched from French Guyana. You are in the Galileo Control Room with a full project team. Everyone is now sitting on the edge of their seats. You are manning the consoles managing the entire Galileo Control Segment, one of the biggest satellite ground segments in the world with a global reach. Everyone is waiting for you. Suddenly, rows of data stream across your screen. A quick check to confirm everything is on track. You then announce over the voice loop, “All stations, we have Acquisition of Signal”.
This is just a small glimpse into the life of a Ground Operations Engineer at Galileo. With the Galileo constellation continuing to develop and grow, you will become part of a multi-national team which will operate and provide engineering support for the Galileo Control Segment. This will include routine activities to support 26 satellites currently in orbit, preparation and execution for the next Galileo satellite launches and upgrade of the system to enhance the Galileo services. You will be primarily based in Germany but the activities will also include a chance to work at our sister Control Centre in Italy.
As a Ground Operations Engineer you will be offered the unique opportunity to:
• Partcipate in Europe’s flagship project
• Work in an international environment
• Help deliver a service which reaches across the entire world
• Prove yourself in a challenging engineering environment
• Enjoy room to grow, develop and constantly learn
Your mission will be to become a fully productive member of the Ground Operations Team and to ensure the smooth operation of the Galileo Control System (GCS) across both control centres in Germany and Italy. You will actively support the Galileo mission by participating in a diverse range of activities providing engineering support to the shift team, joining talented multi-disciplinary teams for Special Operations, validating new Ground Procedures and supervising and testing new system deployments. You will be exposed to all mission phases (LEOP, IOT, and Routine). Your talents, skills and dedication will make a difference in the following areas:
• Prepare/support/execute system, segment and element operation validation activities
• Develop/review/update Operations Plans and Operations Concept documents
• Update and maintain control of Ground and Secure Operations Procedures
• Ensure/support database preparation, coordination, synchronization and verification
Operations planning and coordination:
• Take part in the planning and coordination of activities
• Provide planning inputs and execution feedback for Ground Operations activities
• Take over a ground or secure operations position on-console and on-call
• Provide support to ground segment users for preparation or execution operations activities
• Monitor performance of ground services and trigger corrective actions
• Handle incidents and anomaly (writing, processing, supporting review boards) according to KPI
• Prepare/support/execute software engineering activities
• Interface with ground segment external entities for data exchange and service outage troubleshooting
• Provide supplementary support to Shift Lead and Special Operations
• Take over on-call duty to provide Ground Operations Support 24/7
• Support KPI data collection and reporting
• Take part in Ground Operations processes (e.g. planning, reporting, anomaly escalation, milestone reviews)
• Provide support for the progressive automation of Constellation Operations
• Provide Engineer Support to assess Galileo Control Segment enhancements/modifications
• Provide inputs to enhancement of operations processes
• Maintain and develop subject matter expert (SME) training material
• Master´s degree in telecommunications, aerospace engineering, informatics or equivalent
• Experience in ground system operations preparation engineering and execution, ILS or Maintenance
• Knowledge of navigation ground segment such as EGNOS or Galileo
• Comfortable using Linux
• An advanced level of English is mandatory
• Willingness to support on-call and shift duties
Collaboration in the European lighthouse project Galileo + trusting and appreciative cooperation in an international environment + international team spirit + 30 days annual leave + Extra benefits such as awo lifebalance + a varied personnel development program + individual career options (for example through secondments to partner agencies / enterprises abroad) + employer-financed retirement plan + attractive location with a high recreational value in the five-lakes region near Munich + and much much more ...