Deadline for application: 22nd June
With 2,100 employees worldwide, the CS Group is a leading IT company in France and Germany, and a prime contractor in designing, integrating and operating mission critical systems. It has now been over 30 years that comprehensive CS Group solutions for space systems and applications, both on the ground and in space, have been part and parcel of this odyssey.
This position is supporting our client ESA at their ESTEC location in Noordwijk in the Netherlands. In this large European agency, you will find an excellent and modern working environment with challenging tasks and responsibilities with the opportunity to gain exposure to various projects and missions at the heart of European space research and development.
If you are successful in this position you are guaranteed a very competitive salary, a permanent Dutch contract, Industry leading base salary, full healthcare, pension contribution, 30 days’ vacation, annual training budget, access to the ESTEC social club membership and a relocation package if required.
Responsibilities/ Duties /Tasks
Within the Future Missions and Instruments Division (EOP-8M), the Technology Coordination and Frequency Management Section (EOP-8MT) is responsible for two following main tasks:
First, the identification of technology requirements for future Earth Observation (EO) missions. A solid collaboration with the other sections of the division and with other divisions in the EOP directorate and ESA’s technical directorate is essential for this work. The nature of the work requires a wide knowledge in engineering disciplines with a natural inclination for learning and understanding new technologies in connection to EO space systems.
Second, the analysis and monitoring of the evolution of frequency needs for EO missions, including early concepts and potential interference conflicts with other communication services sharing the spectrum.
You will provide engineering support in the area of EO Technology Development for the following tasks:
- support the identification of the technology requirements for future Earth observations missions, covering the whole spectrum (mainly platform and ground stations network, but also support to optical and RF instruments )
- provide support to technology developments for future EO missions, in particular for the standardisation of the platform and for the communications with the ground segment
- initiate, conduct internal studies and support the review of the results of industrial activities and in the area of technology development and modelling of end-to-end system (e.g. data flow, technical budgets) or on-board sub-system aspects.
- support the definition and monitoring of missions under preparation through, e.g. participation to reviews, assessment of industrial results, evaluation of proposals in reply to calls, including sub-system performance analyses or technology maturity aspects.
- support the EO technology observatory function outside the EOP Directorate (e.g. ESA Technology Harmonisation, ARTES), and also outside ESA (e.g. other space agencies, Horizon Europe in the EC, commercial initiatives under NewSpace, and the potential spin-in from non-space sectors)
- support the interaction within ESA and also with ESA's Member States on EO future technologies e.g. through dedicated information days
- building up relevant IT repositories with information about technology developments or new mission concepts of relevance to Earth Observation
Mandatory skills & background:
Master's degree in Engineering with relevant background and experience in space projects and associated technology developments
Several years of experience in the development of advanced on-board system and sub-technologies for space applications, ideally in the EO domain
Experience in Space Projects for Earth Observation.
Experience with System (Performance) Simulation and End-to-End Satellite Data Flow, including data processing, is desirable.
Good knowledge of remote sensing techniques used in Earth Observation missions
Experience in Matlab, STK or similar tools
Pro-active in organising and building up electronic means to share the technology knowledge with larger groups.
Proficient in the English language (Spoken and Written)