Exciting opportunity for a climate scientist passionate about outreach, to join the Telespazio UK team, and lead the set up and execution of a brand new international project office (IPO) for the Coupled-Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP), in a role co-located with ESA Climate Office at ECSAT.
This prestigious post will provide scientific outreach, and communication support to the CMIP-IPO and the Director. The CMIP-IPO is expected to be the focal point for leading national and international entities in climate modelling, coordinating independent international teams and projects working toward a common goal.
A more prominent role is foreseen for CMIP in bringing models and observations closer together, and aims to;
• Better understand past, present and future climate changes arising from natural and anthropogenic changes
• Assess model performance in the past and future, including the representation in models
• Investigate predictability of the climate system on various time and space scales as well as making predictions from observed climate states
• Make multi-model output publically available (in a standardized format)
• Carry out work as directed by the Working Group on Coupled Modelling (WGCM)
CMIP-IPO operates under overall guidance of relevant CMIP governing bodies (EGCM, CMIP Panel, WIP), and in close coordination with the WCRP Joint Scientific Committee (JSC), and Head/WCRP Secretariat.
Responsibilities / Duties
The successful individual will be expected to;
• Provide scientific support to the CMIP international project office;
• Take the lead in communication and organisation matters, including:
• Coordinate CMIP scientific communication and outreach including communicating simulation protocols, set-ups, CMIP science questions context and CMIP model results
• Organise meetings, workshops, conferences, training sessions and other activities relevant to CMIP;
• Prepare CMIP administrative reports, correspondence, publications;
• Ensure CMIP is highly visible as a WCRP brand via appropriate communication and outreach tools;
• Coordinate CMIP administrative, communication and outreach activities;
• Set up, develop and provide oversight and maintenance of a CMIP website;
Qualifications / Experience
• University Master’s degree, or equivalent qualification, in Physics, Earth Sciences or related scientific discipline.
• Experience within science communication and outreach
• Background in climate science
• Familiarity with, or understanding of, CMIP and their goals
• Experience working in international teams or environments
• Ability to work autonomously, and prioritise workloads
• Methodical, and proactive, attitude to solving problems
• Good English language skills
• Good organisational, interpersonal, and communication skills