Exciting opportunity for an experienced climate professional to join the Telespazio UK team, and support the development and execution of a brand new international project office (IPO) for the Coupled-Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP), in a role co-located with ESA Climate Office at ECSAT.
This prestigious post will support the CMIP-IPO Director and office as a whole in line with the aims and targets set out within their initial 5 year term. The CMIP-IPO is expected to be the focal point for leading national and international entities in climate modelling, coordinating independent international teams and projects working toward a common goal.
A more prominent role is foreseen for CMIP in bringing models and observations closer together, and aims to;
• Better understand past, present and future climate changes arising from natural and anthropogenic changes
• Assess model performance in the past and future, including the representation in models
• Investigate predictability of the climate system on various time and space scales as well as making predictions from observed climate states
• Make multi-model output publically available (in a standardized format)
• Carry out work as directed by the Working Group on Coupled Modelling (WGCM)
CMIP-IPO will operate under overall guidance of releveant CMIP governing bodies (WGCM, CMIP Panel, WIP), and in close coordination with the WCRP Joing Scientific Committee (JSC) and Head/WCRP Secretariat.
Responsibilities / Duties
The successful individual will be expected to;
• Facilitate active liaison between the climate observations and modelling communities, with a focus on strengthening the connections, cooperation and coordination between models and observations, organising relevant meetings and conferences ;
• Support the organisation of the activities of the CMIP panel and the WIP, being in regular contact with their respective chairs;
• Contribute to CMIP international meetings (for instance the WCRP JSC-meetings, strategy/implementation workshops and task teams), events and to partner/sponsoring organizations;
• Work closely with WGCM, WIP, CMIP-panel, providing scientific, technical and administrative support
• Assist the cooperation between CMIP and other relevant international programmes and activities, including contacts and interaction with Climate Services;
• Support coordination, planning, development and implementation of the CMIP experimental design, data archiving and dissemination, and associated observational, reanalysis, forcings, scenarios and modelling efforts;
Qualifications / Experience
• PhD, or equivalent qualification, in Physics, Earth Sciences or related scientific discipline.
• Excellent track record in climate science and modelling
• Expertise in climate science management
• Demonstrated scientific and/or technical experience with CMIP
• Experience working with international organisations within the climate network;
• Experience working in large international projects and teams;
• Excellent presentation skills
• Ability to work autonomously, and prioritise workloads
• Methodical, and proactive, attitude to solving problems
• Good English language skills
• Excellent organisational, and communication, skills.