The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defence, non-defence and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aero-structures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, France, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, France, Germany, the UK.
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking an experienced space Software Product Assurance Engineer to work at ESA’s ESTEC site in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
You will be assigned to ESA/ESTEC’s Product Assurance Management Section within the Directorate of Technical and Quality Management.
This group of Product Assurance and Safety (PA&S) engineers are responsible for failure-proofing missions by ensuring that the materials, mechanical parts, processes and electrical components used to assemble a spacecraft or launcher shall be fit for purpose over the entire life of a mission.
They do this by providing engineering support to all ESA activities, verifying compliance to Product Assurance (PA) requirements. They represent an independent technical authority in the materials, mechanical parts, processes and electrical component domains, while also providing bespoke space environmental exposure facilities for use in support of European programmes.
Within the scope of these general PA activities, this position will initially be to support the Galileo Ground Segment PA Unit in all the activities related to the execution of the Galileo Ground Segment and Software Product Assurance and Safety Programme.
This includes the following main tasks:
• Guiding and monitoring the implementation of Ground Segment and Software PA&S requirements in order to assess performance/effectiveness, participation in design reviews and directing the necessary preventive or corrective actions.
• Supporting the process for evaluation and approval of waivers and deviations.
• Supporting the project non-conformance process and attendance/organization of non-conformance/anomaly and software review boards as necessary.
• Ensuring the implementation of the Ground Segment and Software PA Requirements baseline across the applicable Galileo Ground Segments.
• Monitoring the ground segment and software integration and test activities with quality audits, test witnessing and configuration inspections.
• Supporting the definition of the formal acceptance requirements and conduction of acceptance reviews of all contractual deliverable items.
• Ensuring the preparation of design trade-offs, analyses and reports using RAMS data to support project decisions.
• Supporting security and cyber-security activities for ground segments as appropriate.
• Support the maintenance of the Navigation Directorate Quality Management System.
This is a full-time position located at ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
The requested start of work is October 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Qualifications & Competencies
The successful candidate shall have:
• A Masters’ level degree in an engineering discipline, ideally Software Engineering, Computer Science, or similar.
• At least 10 years’ experience in the space sector including 5 years in Product Assurance and Quality Assurance.
Specific experience (or knowledge of) the following areas:
• Software engineering (development, maintenance or testing);
• Agile practices for software development;
• Hands-on experience with static code analysis and tools;
• Alternative software development life-cycles, continuous integration and tools.
• Excellent interpersonal skills are needed, together with a high degree of organizational and communication abilities, and comfortable with working in a diverse and multinational team environment.
• Good knowledge of the applicable space standards (ECSS series) desirable.
• Some knowledge of cyber security would be an asset.
• Knowledge of Configuration Management or the implementation of Product Assurance within a quality system certified to ISO 9001 would be an asset.
Note: Candidates must be eligible for security clearance from their national security administration.
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
• Great opportunities for training and personal development
• Challenges in advanced technical environment
• International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
• An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
• Highly competitive salary
• Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply via our website https://www.terma.com/working-at-terma/apply-for-a-job/open-positions/?hr=show-job%2F78418%26locale%3Den_US. Include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter highlighting your background and expertise as well as earliest date of availability.
For further information, please contact Mr. Simon Mills by email [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Closing date: Sep 5th 2021
Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
• Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
• Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
• In line with ESA security requirements, an official Certificate of Good Conduct (or equivalent) and employment reference checks will be required at commencement of employment. Please attach a copy of any reference letters with your application if you have them.
This Privacy Notice covers any personal data you submit to Terma for the recruiting process, including e.g.:
• Your name, contact details and application status
• Information included in your CV or cover letter, such as job history, academic background, skills and competencies, personal interests, languages spoken, and your photo
• Job preferences and type of employment sought
• Names and contact details for references