Senior Systems Engineer, Aviation Safety
London, United Kingdom
Primary role purpose:
We have a long-standing commitment to aviation safety services: airlines the world over trust our range of market leading, secure and reliable connectivity solutions that set the standard for flight deck communications. More than 95% of the world’s long-haul fleet use Inmarsat safety and operational services today. With our wholly owned and operated satellite network powering international commerce, we work with international aviation organisations to make flight safer, more efficient and more predictable. We are constantly building capabilities that anticipate the diverse and changing requirements of today’s customers.
The Role sits in the CTO the Systems Engineering group which is responsible (and accountable) for development and implementation of new systems capabilities, and is a leading force in technology innovation.
The Aviation Safety Senior System Engineer will work within a small team within the Technology Delivery group who are responsible for all engineering aspects from initial concept to introduction of service of Aviation Safety communication systems.
The post-holder will focus on the evolution of Inmarsat’s SwiftBroadband Safety infrastructure, based on a detailed understanding of the new and emerging communications and surveillance requirements for Air Traffic Management.
The role requires close working with industry partners within the Iris consortium including aircraft manufacturers (i.e. Airbus and Boeing), avionics suppliers, and air traffic communication service providers that operate ground connectivity for ATC centres, airline operational services and Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs). Additionally the regulators who set the communication and surveillance requirements. The role will represent the organisation as a technical subject matter expert in meetings with suppliers and must be capable of dealing confidently with experts in similar and adjacent disciplines.
- Maintain a constant watching brief on ATM regulatory requirements;
- Compile system design requirements for next generation safety service developments;
- Produce system concepts, candidate architectures and conduct trade-off studies;
- Create detailed design specifications/supplier Statements of Work for use in competitive procurements for evolution of Inmarsat’s infrastructure;
- Manage suppliers for implementation, verification, and change management of the safety infrastructure;
- Define/refine the operational model in planning for service introduction readiness, initial operations (e.g. customer Beta testing), and in-life service management metrics (KPIs) needed to demonstrate compliance with performance standards;
- Work with others within the Technology and Operations teams to achieve above;
- Form strong technical relationships with peers at satcom avionic manufacturers, airframers, ESA, and Inmarsat service providers.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering, Computer or Communications science or equivalent;
- Technically fluent in telecommunications technologies, an understanding of IP-based mobile networking technologies and ideally satellite or mobile communications systems;
- Strong analytical capability, able to conduct system engineering and technology trade-offs;
- Strong inter-personal skills including the ability to establish and maintain relationships and trust;
- Ability to work in a complex, international matrix organization alongside 3rd-parties.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of networking technology including routers, switches, and firewalls;
- Working in a ISO27000 framework or equivalent;
- Knowledge of IT security practices including IPSec and PKI;
- Good knowledge of software development and engineering techniques;
- Experience in the identification and capture of IT functional and non-functional requirements for large, complex projects;
- Knowledge of Inmarsat and other satellite communications systems;
- Avionics development;
- Knowledge of aeronautical Air Traffic Service standards and processes; ICAO, ARINC, RTCA, Eurocae, Certification, especially Aeronautical Telecommunications Network (ATN), and existing Air Traffic DataLink Service standards;
- Delivery of Air Traffic Communications service as an ANSP or communications supplier.
Don't forget to mention Space-Careers when applying.