Astronaut XR Engineer (f/m/d)
Category: Service and Satellite Operations
Who You Are
We are looking for an enthusiast Astronaut XR Engineer to support the European Astronaut Centre near Cologne, Germany. This unique position will see you work on (but not limited to) Virtual Reality applications for astronaut training and space explorations within the XR-Lab.
The potential usage of XR (Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality or Mixed Reality) and associated haptic devices at EAC are suitable for EVA, robotics, LUNA analogue facility and onboard ISS purposes requiring incremental preparation, prototyping and tests of tools helping the crew and ground support personal to design, prepare or complement space training. XR at EAC is also used in support of mission design for various missions (Low Earth Orbit, Argonaut on the Moon, Gateway around the Moon or Mars). When used in weightlessness conditions, XR hardware and software necessitate specific research, modification, tests or ground up design to ensure full realism, functionality, and robust tracking in Zero-G conditions.
The position is also embedded within the EAC’s Ground Segment and IT infrastructure team so you will be asked to provide IT engineering expertise to the development and maintenance of elements of the EAC operational and test ISS Ground Segment environment, systems and applications, as well as technical coordination support services in addition to the XR tasks.
We are looking forward to meeting you!
What You Will Focus on
- Provide support and development on XR software projects related to Human Spaceflight;
- Promote the use of XR technologies within Human Spaceflight;
- Contribute to the various XR Lab project implementations, especially in the area of mixed reality;
- Address refinement and enhancement of 3D models needed for XR Lab projects;
- Develop support tools for ISS payload operations and test;
- Contribute to and participate in payload test campaigns;
- Support the EAC Ground Control Team on any information technology issue impacting or related to ISS operations;
- Analyse/propose/document the most adequate software and hardware solutions, to achieve the various project goals;
- Collect/analyse user experiences and requirements (from trainers, operation teams, scientists), and suggest improvements and solutions.
What You Bring
- Master’s or Engineering degree in software engineering, information technology, computer science or aerospace engineering (or similar subject) or an equivalent work experience;
- Experience with XR (AR and VR) technologies, software;
- Experience with at least one commonly used 3D rendering engine (e.g. Unreal or Unity);
- Experience with Windows PowerShell scripting;
- Experience with Linux shell scripting.
- Good understanding of IT and computer networking;
- Basic proficiency in software engineering;
- Basic engineering proficiency with web technologies;
- Knowledge of software engineering collaborative development processes and related standards;
- Fluent proficiency in the English language.
- Proficiency with a 3D graphics authoring, with software like Blender or Substance would be an asset;
- Proactive attitude and ability to organise the assigned tasks efficiently and effectively;
- Able to organise work to ensure delivery ahead of deadlines;
- Able to work both autonomously and within a team environment;
- Experience of working in multinational, multicultural or intergovernmental organisations is an asset.
What We Offer
All our benefits can be found here: https://www.telespazio.de/en/careers/benefits.
How to Apply
Are you passionate about making an impact, with an open and curious mentality? Get in touch with us today and send us your application!
Your HR Contact for this position is Bitu Maklari.
Don't forget to mention Space-Careers when applying.