Mechanical Design Engineer
LSS - Large Space Structures GmbH
Would you like to work on one of the most exciting projects for space (Conical Imaging Microwave Radiometer for Copernicus Mission) and contribute to the manufacture of flying space hardware? Are you excited by new challenges? Do you want to be part of a multicultural and motivated team full of passion and team spirit? Do you like to run smaller deployable antenna flight and research projects?
Then LSS is the right place for you!
We are pioneering the development of large/small deployable antenna reflector technologies in Europe, targeting European and global markets.
As a motivated Mechanical Design Engineer at LSS you will work in a position which includes all technical engineering functions specific to a project, but largely CAD focused with aspects of certain projects and you will have the unique opportunity to join our diverse and motivated team to deliver valuable work in the space industry together with us.
- Propose innovative solutions to help improve existing designs and influence new product design via sound, succinct, data-driven analysis results;
- Lead a team of Design Engineers;
- Create 3D CAD models, detailed part and assembly drawings, and parts lists using Solid Works;
- Provide technical insight on assigned projects and act to meet the technical and schedule objectives;
- Strive to improve all aspects of the Design team working environment and increase inter- and intra-team relationships;
- Prepare detailed technical reports/presentations and take active part in internal and external design discussions and reviews;
- Create detailed BOM tables and work closely with the Supply Chain Manager to define procurement requirements and ensure delivery of all components as per the project schedule;
- Take complete ownership of the designs and interact with project partners (internal and external) to optimize the designs and interfaces;
- Coordinate with the Analysis team and provide the needed inputs to facilitate validation of the designs through FEA;
- Liaise with MAIT team and provide detailed work instructions and inputs to manufacturing and assembly procedures;
- Be responsible for handling and management of incoming and outgoing design documentation with proper configuration control using Solid Works PDM.
- A degree (FH/Univ.) in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering, or similar qualification;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in a design engineering role in a professional engineering environment in European space (or aerospace) projects;
- Experience in leading a team is a big asset;
- Excellent English skills (oral and written), German language skills are beneficial;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and manage one’s own time and the demanding expectations of the projects;
- Experience in mechanical design of structures and mechanisms (preferably within SolidWorks) as well as in the design of metal and CFRP components;
- Experience in design of space systems like Deployable Structures, Hold Down and Release Mechanisms, etc. is highly desirable;
- Analytical and solution-oriented working style combined with excellent communication skills to interface with partners and colleagues;
- Strong understanding of technical drawing and DIN standards;
- Excellent technical reporting, time management skills;
- Ability to quickly identify areas of further design optimization and to influence design changes with innovative ideas and solutions;
- Strong knowledge of metal manufacturing processes and the design-for-manufacture concept;
- Experience in space technology projects and with ESA-ECSS standards.
- Flexible working hours with a core time;
- A relaxed working environment with a flat hierarchy combined with a motivated and open team;
- Modern office space with well-developed infrastructure (shops, restaurants, gym etc.);
- Good connection to public transportation (~6 Minutes walking distance to subway (U-Bahn));
- Casual dress code;
- Scope for individual development and growth in a growing multicultural team of discipline experts;
- A challenging, fast-paced position at the forefront of space technology;
- The opportunity to work collaboratively on multiple concurrent projects.
Note: If you are unable to submit the application, please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don't forget to mention Space-Careers when applying.